Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

LED cost Vs Savings

andrelaplume2
10 years ago

I figured you guys could answer this. I bought LED color xmas lights over the past few years for our indoor tree...usually on clearance at year's end. Now the wife wants white. Well, the LEDs don't all look like there incandescent brethren. The ones that do cost a fortune...$11 for 50 lights and I need 500.

I started to wonder what the real advantage of the LEDs are? My experience with the color ones are that they don't last any longer than regular ones before they go out.

Savings?
Am I right in assuming that a strand of 100 incandescent use 40 watts. I can string 5 sets together. That's 500 lights at 200 watts. If my electric is about 10 cents per kilowatt hour (sound right for northeast usa?), Then I use a kilowatt every 5 hours. If lights are on for 10 hours a day...thats 20 cents a day to run them. Or $12 for two months. The LEDS cost maybe 1/5 of that to run or a couple of bucks....but the dog gone lights will cost me $80 more than regular ones...Is my math bad...what am I missing here!!! What's the advantage?

Comments (3)