Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refeed existing sub panel

Posted by fotostat (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 12, 09 at 22:21

I have a sub panel in my attic that feeds the upstairs lights and receptacles. That sub panel is fed with a piece of 10-2 BX. They used a jumper to make the other bus hot (there are no 240V loads up there, so it works fine). Is that in any way legal?

I'd like to refeed it, my plan was to change out the 30A single pole breaker with a 40A two pole breaker and run a piece of 8-3 romex up there, should be pretty straight forward.

40 amps should be more than enough since 30 amps has been fine and there is no possibility to expand the upstairs or anything like that. The AC unit in the attic is fed from the main panel.

My questions, is 40A too much?

Is using romex the best option, or should I use a different type of cable for some reason?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refeed existing sub panel

I'm not a code expert, but I see nothing wrong with feeding both panel busses from a single hot leg. You would not have to replace the 30A breaker.

If you have been getting along with 30 A single hot leg, then 40A with two hot legs is as much total power as 80A from a single leg and considerable overkill.

You should be just fine with either 30A or 40A at 120V. You could also use 20A 120/240V on 12-3 which increases your total capacity, unless there is some 120V load that needs more than 20A by itself.

o
RE: Refeed existing sub panel

Fotostat,

The power to your subpanel is limited by the breaker in the feeding panel, which in this case would be a single pole 40A circuit. Feeding that wire to both legs of the subpanel wouldn't provide any additional power, but I suppose would give you additional slots for breakers. Regardless of code violations, I wouldn't do it because if someone installed a double pole breaker for use in a multiwire circuit, it would overload the neutral. Very dangerous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here