Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 branches in one electrical box

Posted by daver234 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 22:18

I'm starting a kitchen remodel. I've run a new dedicated 20A, 12/2 branch for an over-range microwave. The outlet will be in the cabinet above the microwave. I also want to run some LED under-cabinet lights and was thinking of putting the transformer into the same cabinet.

I have access to the overhead lighting branch as well (15A, 14/2). I'd like for the under-cabinet lighting transformer outlet to be switched.

Should I (or can I) install a double-gang box and run the 14/2 wire to outlets on one side of the box and then the dedicated microwave circuit on the other side of the box?

Or should I just install a single gang box for the microwave and plug the transformer into the unused outlet and wire it as a switched split outlet. In a previous house, this is essentially how I wired my undercounter lights, except they were not controlled by a switch.

I don't want to pull any new branches for the undercounter lighting as this seems like overkill for a 60W (max) set of lights.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 branches in one electrical box

If by outlet you mean RECEPTACLE with minor exception (none of which seems to apply here) you CAN NOT use a 15A circuit. PERIOD. END OF STORY. It matters not how the boxes are arranged. All receptacles need to be on the two or more small appliance circuits.

If by outlet you mean a hardwired lighting outlet (low voltage transformer or whatever), then you're free to connect it to any circuit OTHER than the dedicated small appliance circuits.

There's no restriction on mixing circuits in boxes.

o

Yes, receptacle. I wasn't planning to hardwire the transformer - it's a plug-in type.

I want to make sure I was clear though - the existing 15A circuit serves a bunch of locations in the house: kitchen overheads, garage overheads, foyer, etc. There are some outlets already on this circuit. So, the restriction is that all receptacles in the kitchen must be on one of the two 20A circuits, no matter whether the receptacle is in a cabinet or not?

Is it common to extent one of the 20A kitchen circuits into a cabinet to serve as place to plug in lighting? Are there any restrictions to making one of the receptacles on this circuit switched?

Thanks again!

o

Actually a switched receptacle (presumably for lighting) is permitted to be on another circuit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here