Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidocd

220 Outlet Inset Into Wall?

OrchidOCD
12 years ago

This is likely a silly question, but of all household 'stuff', I know the least about eletrical wiring, so hoping a kind soul can answer the question...

Is there any reason/requirement for a 220v outlet to be installed as a surface-mount box instead of inset into the wall the way normal 110v/120v outlets are normally installed? The reason I ask is because the 220v outlet for my kitchen range is surface-mounted on the baseboard, which keeps the range pushed out several inches from the wall instead of being as flush to the wall as possible. The supply wire is inside the wall, and seems to have been pulled though a drilled hole in the drywall above the baseboard and then fed into the surface-mount box.

I'm planning on having an electrician in for several other items ( some additional 110/120 outlets and ceiling lights added in a couple of rooms), and if there's no real reason for the surface-mount range outlet other than that the builder chose to do it that way, I'll be adding changing the range outlet to an inset outlet to the wishlist. Is there any reason/code requirement why this should't be done?

Comments (4)