Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reversed hot/neutral wire for chandelier installation?

Posted by InTallgrass (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 21:47

I installed a chandelier in an 18 foot room, and since the hot/neutral wires were the same color, I didn't realize there was a difference until I was finished. I'm a little concerned I may have reversed the wires at the box, and I've already returned the ladder I borrowed. The light works fine. I know that if I had reversed them, there would be a concern with the lightbulb socket threads being hot, which doesn't seem to be the case. I carefully checked the socket threads and the tab at the bottom. The tab at the bottom of the socket is hot, but the socket threads are not. I'm thinking I got lucky. Any input would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reversed hot/neutral wire for chandelier installation?

You had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. It sounds like things were done right based on your test. I'd always take the precaution of shutting off the power to the fixture prior to changing bulbs, etc... anyway.

o

How did you verify the screw shell was not hot?

o

He put his tongue to the screw shell and turned the switch on.
He posted the message, ergo he wired it correctly.

o

I almost forgot. While his tongue was contacting the screw shell, he placed the little finger of his left hand on the grounding conductor in the device box. Then he closed the switch.

o

I had a coworker who used to regularly test for hot wires by licking his thumb and then touching the conductor. I can't say I ever tried that myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here