Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What electrical wiring repairs are covered by FEMA?

Posted by blondelle (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 21:24

It seems to be difficult to find what they will or will not cover. Our basement walls are wood paneling over concrete. The sea water was about 14"-16" and sitting there for days. Concrete is porous and I now have wet concrete and electrical wiring between the wet concrete and wood paneling. It's encased, but still it seems like a hazardous condition. My electrician can't guarantee it won't cause a fire.

Will they pay to repair it if it's a safety issue? I was just told by a FEMA insurance agent they just cover outlets, but I'm not sure what they mean. Aren't they supposed to pay to restore a home to a safe condition.

Is anyone going through the same problem? Any electricians here that have dealt with this or are dealing with these issues now? Any help will be most appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What electrical wiring repairs are covered by FEMA?

You have flood insurance under the National Flood Insurance Program? Typically, that does not cover underground areas at all.

FEMA does not have insurance agents. Insurance agents with other companies administer the NFIP. If you are in a Sandy-affected area, I suggest that you find a workshop to attend in your area. I hope that they are scheduling them nearby.

The NFIP program and claims can be very confusing. Go to this web site and see if there if a FEMA DRC has been set up near you.

Any electrical equipment that has been in seawater will need to be replaced, cables and outlets. I don't see why you are not removing the paneling now. It is ruined and will start to mold.

o
RE: What electrical wiring repairs are covered by FEMA?

I agree with ionized.
This is likely not a FEMA issue. Only flood insurance would cover this relatively minor damage (in the scope of things). You DO have flood insurance, don't you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here