Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
9ft 14/3 Medium-Duty extension cord

Posted by aceh (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 21:21

Would it be ok to use a 9ft 14/3 Medium-Duty extension cord with a 1500 watt portable electric heater?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 9ft 14/3 Medium-Duty extension cord

Yes, but only for temporary use (in that you have an eye on it). And make sure it is a halfway decent UL listed cord, not an imported knock off that has terrible connectors. Anything more than using the heater while attending the room, I wouldn't use a cord at all. Add an outlet where it is needed and run a new circuit. When connection to existing outlets, often normal branch circuits barely take the load, if any of the outlets are back stabbed (not using the screw terminals), be ready for loose connections to start burning apart.

o

The cord is UL Listed : 4-UL Certified from Home Depot. Only the heater will be used with it.

o

Again on the leaving it unattended, that would be my only worry. The space heaters often say "do not use extension cord" But that is mainly to keep idiots from using their 18 gauge lamp cord to extend it. The constant 1500 watt load is tough on connectors and adding a cord creates more potential for a connector to overheat and possibly start a fire. If your using it all the time, it would be best to add an outlet. If your using it to place the heater in a certain spot for temporary things, I wouldn't worry about using a cord.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here