Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cumpaniciu

Basic question: where does the neutral comes from

cumpaniciu
16 years ago

I'm trying to understand those wires in my house (I haven't been paying attention in school :-) and I have one question: where does the neutral wire come from? My understanding that the power company only supplies the hot wires, and the neutral is tied to the ground wire at the main service panel, but looking at the diagram below there's a white neutral coming in.

Where is that coming from?

Comments (9)

• cumpaniciu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

but before that? Is there a neutral wire going back to the power company?

• zackditner
    16 years ago

Yes, it goes back to the transformer on the pole.
    there it is derived from a 3-phase system.
    It is also grounded at the pole transformer

• cumpaniciu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do they provide the neutral wire because they don't trust the consumer to have a proper grounding or is there other reason?

• bigbird_1
    16 years ago

The neutral wire is the return path for the spent electrons to return to the transformer for re-energizing. The neutral completes the path so that the transformer can keep functioning.

• hendricus
    16 years ago

but before that? Is there a neutral wire going back to the power company?

Or does it stop at the transformer?

--there it is derived from a 3-phase system. --

I had to change motors on equipment because three phase was not available at the location I was at. So now what?

• bigbird_1
    16 years ago

There are two types of power distribution: Wye and Delta. Wye, more common and newer, uses 3 phases plus a neutral conductor. The neutral is grounded both at the substation and at every power pole. Delta uses 3 phases and no neutral. In Delta there is only a single voltage, between two phases (phase to phase), while in Wye there are two voltages, between two phases and between a phase and neutral (phase to neutral). For further reading do a Google search on AC power generation and distribution.

• cumpaniciu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense. I just did some more reading, and I was surprised to find out that the current entering a device is the same as the one exiting on the neutral wire, except that the potential (Voltage) is now 0.

• cuba_pete
    12 years ago

I cannot believe some of the whimsical and fanciful things I find on the internet...and from someone who claims to have over 30 years experience with electrical work. Sheesh! Spent electrons returning for re-energizing? Are you even KIDDING me??? So the transformer can keep FUNCTIONING??? What...when they are all expended does the power company have to come out and pour in more??? Crazeee!!!

Two types...Delta and Wye...Wye newer...really??? Are you from this planet or what? Riddle me this oh wise one...from where is 277 in a delta/delta configuration derived? Ah ah ahh...no fair Googling it...you already posted your lame excuse for an answer above. YOU...*my friend*...are going to get someone killed.