Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
breaker panels: 200A 30/40 vs 40/40

Posted by dgeist (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 20:41

I'm looking at two panels from the same company (one of the big ones) and they make two nearly identical panels (200A, convertible main, same neutral and ground layout, bus, etc.).

One is 30 slots with 40 circuits and the other is 40/40. The former is a little cheaper and comes in some useful package kits, and I don't have to mail order it, but the latter has the full 40 spaces.

The question is really this: is there a situation where it would be advantageous to have the 30/40 vs the 40/40 (aside from a tight space). Are there any breaker styles that only fit in the double-gang slots (they would be QO-type, BTW).

Thanks.
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: breaker panels: 200A 30/40 vs 40/40

If cost and space are not an issue, the 40/40 is the way to go.

o

On the financial issue, it is possible likely that the 30/40 panel equipped with breakers for the 40 circuits could cost more total than will the 40/40 with breakers for 40 circuits. I have not done the calculations. The tandem breakers are higher cost. And I find higher failure rates of the tandem breakers.

o

Darrel, I was FAR from rude or snippy. You're just over sensitive because I called you out on your advertising.

I don't know where you or the OP are shopping, but a 40/40 200A main breaker panel is milk and butter in pretty much every area I can think of. It is HARDLY a "special order" item. And in many places it is the same or even sometimes less for them as opposed to a 30/40 because they sell so many more 40/40's.

Maybe you are talking about a home center? Even though many folks think if a home center doesn't stock something it is rare. That is not even remotely the case.
My local supply houses have piles of 40/40 panels in many varieties.

And thank you Dennis.

o

I found the 40/40 QO panel at a Lowes across town (normally carried, but no stock elsewhere). I think I'll be happy with the space and the price wasn't much more than the "combo deals" elsewhere. Thanks for the comments.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here