Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smithy123_gw

RoHs 20a Tr Recs?

smithy123
13 years ago

i am looking into replacing the cord, switch, and receptacles in my metal plug strip so i can have a 15' cord and 20a capability. it is now RoHs, and i want to keep it that way. fromm has RoHs compliant 12/3 sjoow, i am re-using the clamp, can find a switch, etc. alls i need is the recs. i need a link or a model number.

thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• yosemitebill
    13 years ago

While it's great you want to be environmentally friendly, you do realize that RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) is an EU (European Union) directive and you might just have a little problem finding North American 120 VAC receptacles approved for use in Europe.

California has adopted some RoHS guidelines concerning lead in television display devices/electronics and also mercury in fluorescent lamps but that is the exception and not the rule.

Even within the EU, countries still vary greatly on guidelines, and since I work with manufactures on semiconductor designs, I can tell you they sometimes have to produce dozens of integrated circuits to meet specific guidelines for individual countries.

So, it does seem odd that your power strip for the good old USA is RoHS compliant - for somewhere in Europe- but it was probably made in China - where "everything is compliant, with everything". But then again, stickers are cheap!

• spencer_electrician
    13 years ago

If you hate TR receptacles, why would you worry about using them on a cord and plug device?

• smithy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i like the fact that no pine needles, tinsel, sawdust, or crumbs will get into them

• smithy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

found this rocker switch on digikey! it even is a circut breaker!

Here is a link that might be useful: 20a rocker switch

• smithy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

found them. hubbell makes them! i will see if fromm has them. if not, there are non tr recs that i know they have.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

What in a standard duplex receptacle is not RoH compliant?

It's not like they use solder.

• smithy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i guess so

• yosemitebill
    13 years ago

"What in a standard duplex receptacle is not RoH compliant?

It's not like they use solder."

Actually, lead is only one of the six substances that fall under RoHS... mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, PBB and PBDE (fire retardants) are the others. And all the substances have to be measured in each individual item, in each component, that goes in each sub-assembly, that goes into each assembly, that goes into an electronic or electrical product.

There are exemptions that can be made on a case by case basis, and most medical, instrumentation, and military products are exempt - it only adds to the confusion.

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with this directly and really only have to have a basic understanding of it. However, US manufacturers selling into the EU have to have to have an in-depth understanding of it and all the guidelines and paperwork that must be filed.

I have no idea if any of those substances are used in the manufacturing of a receptacle and I am sure glad I don't need to!

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"I have no idea if any of those substances are used in the manufacturing of a receptacle and I am sure glad I don't need to! "

They are not.

To get a listing someone has to pay for testing though.

Sounds more like a 'testing lab subsidy act.'

• smithy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i found some in the hubbell catalog. i will have to see if fromm has them.

• countryboymo
    13 years ago

Why not make something that you can zip tie a regular power strip to upside down that will suspend it off of the floor if your that worried about it.

• smithy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dont worry. i already spilled grease from my hotdog rollergrillon my extension cord i made with a switch, 5-15 tr receptaacle and a mini breaker.

"Why not make something that you can zip tie a regular power strip to upside down that will suspend it off of the floor if your that worried about it. "

I do not just use it for something simple like that. mine gets used very heavily. i use mine for my live christmas tree, for crockpots at parties, and get them full of crumbs, for parades, and my hot glue gun, heatgun, soldering iron, etc., sometimes outside (attended when dry). I have found alot of things in plug strips, too.