Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granite Backsplash - Outlet Issues

Posted by murphysf (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 20:39

Hello
I just had new countertops and backsplashes installed in my kitchen.

I did not change or add any outlets or light switches

The granite fabricator / installer cut the rectangle holes for the outlets and switches in the granite.
I have two issues I wanted to see if there is an easy fix for before I contact the granite fabricator / installer.
1. On two of the cutouts the cutout is too low. When I screw in my light switch or ac receptacle the metal tabs or ears (not sure what they are called) keep pulling in past the granite as the granite was cut too low.
2. Similar but slightly opposite to #1 above. I cannot screw my switch plates down all the way as the screws bottom out into the granite. These are the tiny screws that hold the switch plate. I believe the fabricator / installer will have to come back out and made a very small half circle cutout in the center of the top and bottom to allow for the switch plate screws to screw in.
Any ideas of how I can solve either of these problems without bothering the fabricator / installer?

See attached photo

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granite Backsplash - Outlet Issues

As for the ears by the green arrow, that's not a problem. Just put in a wooden shim of the right thickness (with a small hole in the center) to make the space behind the ears flush with the granite. It looks like you have sheetrock behind that bottom hole, so that is not going to prevent the receptacle screw going all the way in once you have it shimmed properly. (If you have particularly long screws that are a problem, get yourself some short -- 1/4" -- ones at the hardware store.)

The hole by the red arrow is a different story. The GFI receptacle will need to be pulled out of the way so that a small hole can be drilled to allow for the top receptacle plate screw. You could do this with a diamond bit drill or a masonry bit, but it is tricky if you haven't done this before, and you could damage the granite or crack it. I would get the installer back to take care of this part of the fix if I were you.

o

The granite guy will have no problem making those holes. I have diamond coring bits that I've cut similar holes, it's not going to be a problem. Do not use a regular masonary bit.

I sure hope that's a mud ring on that box there and not a utility box that you're almost certainly exceeding a box fill on.

o

The granite guy will have no problem making those holes. I have diamond coring bits that I've cut similar holes, it's not going to be a problem. Do not use a regular masonary bit.

I sure hope that's a mud ring on that box there and not a utility box that you're almost certainly exceeding a box fill on.

o

I have that same granite!!! :)

o

And from the pics you cannot tell how close the front if the box is the the granite surface.

It must be recessed no more than 1/8 inch.

o

I believe the maximum setback is 1/4" for non combustible materials. ('08 NEC, 314.20) The easy fix for holding the receptacle flush with the granite is spacers, ie: nuts, washers, loops of copper wire or purchase a commercially available product like the one in the link I attached. The offending bit of granite that prevents the cover screw from being installed can be quickly removed/notched with a high speed rotary tool and diamond or abrasive wheel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try these for $6.

o

Well it's actually 6mm :)

o

You could use some box extenders

o

There are even flat sheet metal pieces that can be used to reduce the opening size slightly when an extender is not needed, but the plaster ears fail to catch.

o

1/4 inch is correct of the box, I was thinking of the box to surface clearance on the sides and top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here