Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how many amps for electric ovens?

Posted by DualvansMommy (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 20:05

currently i have single gas wall oven along with gas cooktop, and for my kitchen renovation i really want to convert the gas wall oven to electric oven.

i'm told to do that, the house needs to have 220 minimum? and my electrical panal is running on 200 amps for the whole household.

in my further research, it seems 200 amps IS ENOUGH to run all the typical applciances, including a eletric oven.

could anyone confirm that? 200 or 220/more?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how many amps for electric ovens?

my bad....

im so sleep deprived now...

i meant to say i have 110 electrial circuit panel...

o

I think proper terminology is the problem with your question. Volts and amps are two completely different things. Electric ovens are 240(volts) not amps. Amps will differ with each appliance but 50 amps at 240 volts is not uncommon for a free standing range. Wall ovens can be and usually are less because they have no cook top.

o

You're confusing volts and amps. Your electrical service is 240 volts, 200 amps (amps are based on what you said). 200 amp service is pretty common but it is impossible for us to definitely say that it is "enough" for your particular situation. Some questions that might help are: How big is your home, what kind of heat and hot water, how many air conditioners, anything else that uses a lot of electricity - hot tub, induction range, etc.?

o

And the appliance itself will call out the minimum size circuit it requires in the installation manual.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here