Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So much for 'Tamper Resistant'

Posted by smithy123 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 20:02

playing around with a small screwdriver and one of my portable cords, i got the single screwdriver into the receptacle in about 15 seconds. a child could easily do that. if it helps, it was a cooper resi grade, as well as a cooper weather resistant. both 5-15.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So much for 'Tamper Resistant'

The explanations I have seen of tamper-resistant receptacles imply that they would not resist the entry of a small screwdriver into only one side of the receptacle. They are supposed to work by providing voltage only when something is inserted into both the hot and neutral sides of the receptacle, something a child is unlikely to accomplish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tamper-Resistant Electrical Receptacles

o

I just replaced a 1950s-era tamper-resistant receptacle.

It wasn't tamper-resistant when it was installed.

The caked-on rust and dirt made it very resistant to my attempts to tamper with it.

I ended up uninstalling it with a hammer.

o

"They are supposed to work by providing voltage only when something is inserted into both the hot and neutral sides of the receptacle,"

This is completely wrong. The voltage is always there. Here is the text right from the link your provided:

"These receptacles have spring-loaded shutters that close off the contact openings, or slots, of the receptacles. When a plug is inserted into the receptacle, both springs are compressed and the shutters then open, allowing for the metal prongs to make contact to create an electrical circuit. Because both springs must be compressed at the same time, the shutters do not open when a child attempts to insert an object into only one contact opening, and there is no contact with electricity."

o

I used a single screwdriver. and nothing else. the receptacle was energized.

o

Tamper RESISTANT, not tamper(or idiot) proof.

o

because i could get a small screwdriver in it, without inserting anything into the other slot, i render them pointless. If i can get a screwdriver into an energized receptacle, so can a child. in my kitchen, i have one where the shutter doesnt shut, either.

o

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are too ingenious.

o

i got the single screwdriver into the receptacle in about 15 seconds. a child could easily do that.
This just goes to show that a child did do it---
Correct smithy?

o

Yes. so they are useless.

o

But they cost more. Government really helps make housing more affordable.

o

Government really helps make housing more affordable.

Blame NFPA, not the feds.

o

The NEC becomes law only when adopted by a legal jurisdiction. The NFPA is not such a jurisdiction.

o

True, local lawmakers adopt the NEC, but my point is that the requirement was dreamed up the the NFPA board, not by our legislators (or yours in your jurisdiction).

o

I'll just stick to my Hubbell 20A Industrial Grade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here