Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smithy123_gw

So much for 'Tamper Resistant'

smithy123
13 years ago

playing around with a small screwdriver and one of my portable cords, i got the single screwdriver into the receptacle in about 15 seconds. a child could easily do that. if it helps, it was a cooper resi grade, as well as a cooper weather resistant. both 5-15.

Comments (14)

• inox
    13 years ago

The explanations I have seen of tamper-resistant receptacles imply that they would not resist the entry of a small screwdriver into only one side of the receptacle. They are supposed to work by providing voltage only when something is inserted into both the hot and neutral sides of the receptacle, something a child is unlikely to accomplish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tamper-Resistant Electrical Receptacles

• pharkus
    13 years ago

I just replaced a 1950s-era tamper-resistant receptacle.

It wasn't tamper-resistant when it was installed.

The caked-on rust and dirt made it very resistant to my attempts to tamper with it.

I ended up uninstalling it with a hammer.

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

"They are supposed to work by providing voltage only when something is inserted into both the hot and neutral sides of the receptacle,"

This is completely wrong. The voltage is always there. Here is the text right from the link your provided:

"These receptacles have spring-loaded shutters that close off the contact openings, or slots, of the receptacles. When a plug is inserted into the receptacle, both springs are compressed and the shutters then open, allowing for the metal prongs to make contact to create an electrical circuit. Because both springs must be compressed at the same time, the shutters do not open when a child attempts to insert an object into only one contact opening, and there is no contact with electricity."

• smithy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used a single screwdriver. and nothing else. the receptacle was energized.

• ontariojer
    13 years ago

Tamper RESISTANT, not tamper(or idiot) proof.

• smithy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

because i could get a small screwdriver in it, without inserting anything into the other slot, i render them pointless. If i can get a screwdriver into an energized receptacle, so can a child. in my kitchen, i have one where the shutter doesnt shut, either.

• bus_driver
    13 years ago

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are too ingenious.

• steve_fl
    13 years ago

i got the single screwdriver into the receptacle in about 15 seconds. a child could easily do that.
    This just goes to show that a child did do it---
    Correct smithy?

• smithy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes. so they are useless.

• bus_driver
    13 years ago

But they cost more. Government really helps make housing more affordable.

• DavidR
    13 years ago

Government really helps make housing more affordable.

Blame NFPA, not the feds.

• bus_driver
    13 years ago

The NEC becomes law only when adopted by a legal jurisdiction. The NFPA is not such a jurisdiction.

• DavidR
    13 years ago

True, local lawmakers adopt the NEC, but my point is that the requirement was dreamed up the the NFPA board, not by our legislators (or yours in your jurisdiction).

• smithy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll just stick to my Hubbell 20A Industrial Grade.