Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Garage Lights - Photocell or Timer

whaas_5a
11 years ago

Hello,

I'd like to get a photocell or timer for my garage lights.

I'm not sure what to go with but from what I've found there is a screw in photocell that has a 2, 5 and 8 hour timer. Sounds great but there could be issues with the sensitivity of the unit working properly.

I then found a digital timer I could hardwire at the switch location inside the garage.

My question is whether you believe the timer or photocell will leak more electricity and furthermore does either have any type of risk as far as overheating, life of the wiring, etc?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• tjdabomb
    11 years ago

You talking for courtesy lighting, e.g. a light that goes on when you enter the garage so you don't have to flip a switch?

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry they are the outside lights on an attached garage.

• tjdabomb
    11 years ago

I have many photocell light installations, they work flawless except when the wind blows and perhaps a leaf blows in front causing the lights to go on - not a big deal. I have had some for 10 years. They do need to be replaced sometimes, but, they are generally inexpensive so there really is no downside, imo.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the response.

If I go with a timer that is 15A are there any issues with that switch being on a 20A circuit?

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

Why not just use a motion sensing/photocell light fixture or the bulb inserts that convert existing fittings? They would seem to be the best of both worlds.

• tjdabomb
    11 years ago

Ya, I'd go the photocell route, a timer would waste electricity when lighting is not needed (like, when you are in the house already!!)

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

"Ya, I'd go the photocell route, a timer would waste electricity when lighting is not needed (like, when you are in the house already!!)"

Say what?! A photocell would keep the lights on from dusk to dawn.

Some photocells may provide you to set for "x" amount of hours from dusk to turn-off i.e. 2-4-6-8 hours. Same as a timer but without the need to reset the "on" time through the year.

A motion sensor would simply turn on the lights when motion is detected and can usually be set to stay on for something like 1-5-10 minutes. That would be the most energy efficient of the three choices. Either the fixtures could be changed out to motion sensing units or a motion sensor could be mounted in a j-box and wired to control the existing fixtures.

The screw-in photocell units mentioned in the OP can be problematic when installed in lamp fixtures.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the additional info. I actually bought those Westec timer photocells. Althought some got them to work, the majority had issues.

I basically wanted the light to come on around 5pm (adjusting for sunset throughout the season) and have them turnoff around 10pm or so.

Would be nice to drive up to the house and have the lights already on.

Installing the timer tomorrow. Will update tomorrow!

• tjdabomb
    11 years ago

Whoopsie!!

I was referring to a photocell WITH motion detector, not just a photocell .... if that wasn't painfully obvious.

By using both a photocell and a motion detector built into a motion light, the system will turn on only when both (a) motion is detected by the main motion sensor AND (b) the photocell detects that less light is available (dusk). Then, when the photocell detects that more light is available (dawn), the light will not operate, even when motion is detected.

A photocell without a motion detector, IMO, is w waste of energy.