Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Lights - Photocell or Timer

Posted by whaas (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 19:40

Hello,

I'd like to get a photocell or timer for my garage lights.

I'm not sure what to go with but from what I've found there is a screw in photocell that has a 2, 5 and 8 hour timer. Sounds great but there could be issues with the sensitivity of the unit working properly.

I then found a digital timer I could hardwire at the switch location inside the garage.

My question is whether you believe the timer or photocell will leak more electricity and furthermore does either have any type of risk as far as overheating, life of the wiring, etc?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Lights - Photocell or Timer

You talking for courtesy lighting, e.g. a light that goes on when you enter the garage so you don't have to flip a switch?

o

Sorry they are the outside lights on an attached garage.

o

I have many photocell light installations, they work flawless except when the wind blows and perhaps a leaf blows in front causing the lights to go on - not a big deal. I have had some for 10 years. They do need to be replaced sometimes, but, they are generally inexpensive so there really is no downside, imo.

o

Thanks for the response.

If I go with a timer that is 15A are there any issues with that switch being on a 20A circuit?

o

Why not just use a motion sensing/photocell light fixture or the bulb inserts that convert existing fittings? They would seem to be the best of both worlds.

o

Ya, I'd go the photocell route, a timer would waste electricity when lighting is not needed (like, when you are in the house already!!)

o

"Ya, I'd go the photocell route, a timer would waste electricity when lighting is not needed (like, when you are in the house already!!)"

Say what?! A photocell would keep the lights on from dusk to dawn.

Some photocells may provide you to set for "x" amount of hours from dusk to turn-off i.e. 2-4-6-8 hours. Same as a timer but without the need to reset the "on" time through the year.

A motion sensor would simply turn on the lights when motion is detected and can usually be set to stay on for something like 1-5-10 minutes. That would be the most energy efficient of the three choices. Either the fixtures could be changed out to motion sensing units or a motion sensor could be mounted in a j-box and wired to control the existing fixtures.

The screw-in photocell units mentioned in the OP can be problematic when installed in lamp fixtures.

o

Thanks for the additional info. I actually bought those Westec timer photocells. Althought some got them to work, the majority had issues.

I basically wanted the light to come on around 5pm (adjusting for sunset throughout the season) and have them turnoff around 10pm or so.

Would be nice to drive up to the house and have the lights already on.

Installing the timer tomorrow. Will update tomorrow!

o

Whoopsie!!

I was referring to a photocell WITH motion detector, not just a photocell .... if that wasn't painfully obvious.

By using both a photocell and a motion detector built into a motion light, the system will turn on only when both (a) motion is detected by the main motion sensor AND (b) the photocell detects that less light is available (dusk). Then, when the photocell detects that more light is available (dawn), the light will not operate, even when motion is detected.

A photocell without a motion detector, IMO, is w waste of energy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here