Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Replacement parts? Crouse Hinds 400A panel

Posted by gm_s (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 19:37

Hi All,

I had the main 200A breaker to the house go south on me last weekend. Corroded, heated up, lights flickering, the whole 9 yards. After removing the main breaker, and filing away at the panel's mating blade connector to clean up some bits it left behind, I'm not too happy with its condition.

Looks like the whole mating breaker sub assembly is replaceable by just popping the existing breakers off and removing a half dozen bolts holding the conductor rails into the panel. Anyone know of a supplier of repair parts or used panels I can cannibalize?


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Replacement parts? Crouse Hinds 400A panel

grandpa had a 4 space hinds outdoor subpanel. junked it and replaced with qo. corroded after about 18 yearsin service.

RE: Replacement parts? Crouse Hinds 400A panel

I'd suggest a completely new panel. Changing it isn't really a DIY job, nor is replacing the "guts." The labor will be much more than the parts, so you might as well go for a complete good quality panel.

Despite what some of the younger folks will try to tell you here :) the brand is not all that important. Cutler-Hammer, Square D, Siemens, and GE all make good panels. Try to get one with a copper bus. Beyond that, your installer will probably have a favorite brand that he's used to working with.

RE: Replacement parts? Crouse Hinds 400A panel

A replacement part is liable to cost nearly as much as a new panel (let alone the labor).

If you use what is popular in your area breakers will be cheaper and easy to find.

Pick an unpopular brand and you will be searching and paying extra.

RE: Replacement parts? Crouse Hinds 400A panel

Yep, the main breaker will be pricey since separate 200/400A breakers aren't exactly a commodity item like the smaller ones are and since Crouse is not a brand you'll typically find at home stores and you'll pay nearly double walking in off the street at an electrical supply house than what they charge the trade customers.

I agree with Brick... it may be cost effective to replace it with a panel you can get breakers for easily in your location.

RE: Replacement parts? Crouse Hinds 400A panel

Thanks for all the advice, everyone - to get up and running I went ahead anyway and popped in an equivalent Murray 200A main breaker - $160, but it kept the freezer from defrosting while I planned my next move... I was lucky in that there's a large breaker warehouse near where I work.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here