Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attaching bulb sockets to lamp cords

Posted by amav31 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 19:33

I want to light up the interior of a big cabinet with just one light. The plan is to drill a hole on the top center, slide a wire(so as to drill a small hole) from the top and then put a socket from the inside. I want a bulb that is just bright enough to light up my 36inch wide cabinet.My questions are regarding the bulbs and their wattage.4 watts is too weak.

1.What base socket should I use to attach it to the cord.
2.Does it matter what cord I buy.?If I want to use a 20watt bulb should I buy a special cord? I am thinking of buying the lamp cord set from Lowes and then buy a socket and a bulb separately.
3.Is it easy to attach the socket to the cord.? I have zero knowledge about wiring or anything electrical.
4.Should I buy c7 or c9 bulbs.Are there any other sockets that can hold other energy efficient bulbs.

I considered many options from string lights to undercabinet puck lights but I finally settled on this otption. This way I can hide the wires.

Thanks in advance for any help and input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attaching bulb sockets to lamp cords

have you looked at the "puck" led lights at lowes ? They give excellent accent light output and provide a low profile.

o

I have zero knowledge about wiring or anything electrical.

Then you might want to find a friend who has more electrical experience or hire an electrician.

I'd think rather than trying to rig something up, you'd be better off buying a pre-assembled, plug-in type fixture that will give you the light you want. As rewire suggested, the "puck" type lights are a good choice and commonly available.

o

Based on your lack of wiring knowledge and what you described, I can see many ways for this installation to not comply with code, and pose a shock or fire hazard as well. I'm not trying to be insulting or sound superior. I am just trying to keep you safe. Please get some help on this from a knowledgeable friend or an electrician.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here