Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to remove light switch box

Posted by bostonhome (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 7, 09 at 19:23

I have my house gutted during renovation and the electrician put a 4-way light switch box on a wall that controls the hall lights. I thought I wanted it, but I think it's overkill and want to remove it. I'm afraid he's going to be upset if I ask (he's been stressed with the project). So before I ask, I want to know if this is something that's easy to remove, or would he have to spend a lot of time tearing down the wires? Can he cap the wires and just hide them in the wall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to remove light switch box

No, you can'd cap the wires and leave them in the wall. The wires don't have to be removed from the wall, but you have to make sure that they are not powered under any circumstances if they are left there.

o

bostonhome-
Those wires are undoubtedly running to several locations and rewiring will be a fair amount of work. Just how do you intend to control the lights these switches were running to if you remove this box?

o

You could wirenut the leads as if they had not been cut into for the switch (black to black, red to red)and then put a blank coverplate over the switchbox. You don't have to have a switch there, but the box must remain accessible if it contains a splice.

o

At this point, I'd just live with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here