Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Connection box with mounting post?

Posted by Rufer (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 19:03

Hi,
I just removed a chandelier in my old house and hoped to replace it with a ceiling fan.

The connection box has a heavy duty mounting post in the middle of it that is making it impossible to install the fan.

Has anyone had any experience with a box like this? Is there any way to get the post out of the way? I have tried unscrewing it with a wrench to no avail.

See the attached picture to see what I am talking about. Any help is very much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Connection box with mounting post?

Get a Dremel and cut it off at the base. Or, if it looks like it might be brittle, if the box is solid, you may be able to bend and snap it.

o

Ohh... if you try to cut it out, obviously, turn off the power to the light and be very careful not to nick the wires.

o

Thanks for the reply. I followed your suggested and used a Dremel. The fans are now in place. Much appreciated.

o

Excellent!!! Happy trails!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here