Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GFCI outlet, am I an idiot?

Posted by isaac-1 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 18:53

I was at my elderly mother's house the other day while she had a couple of handy men fixing a few electrical things around the house. Mostly replacing old outdoor light fixtures, but also installing some GFCI outlets around her new deck. These GFCI outlets were daisy chained off of an existing older outdoor non-GFCI outlet like this:

breaker ---- non-GFCI outlet ----- new GFCI outlet ----- new GFCI outlet

After seeing this done I told one of the handymen that they should have replaced the old non-GFCI outlet with a GFCI outlet and let it do ground fault protection for the downstream outlets. The guy then became very upset with me, one of those how dare I tell him how to do his job, I thought he was going to attack me for a moment, he insisted that a GFCI outlet anywhere on the chain would protect all outlets on the chain, has been doing this for 30 years, etc. This does not pass my common sense knowledge of electrical circuits, but given he had such a strong reaction, I thought I would ask here, was he right, am I an idiot?

thanks Ike

p.s. its not like I am "so no-nothing kid" telling him he did something wrong, I am in my 40's only a few years younger than he is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GFCI outlet, am I an idiot?

A GFCI receptacle will only protect other devices connected its LOAD terminals. If you want to protect other devices the GFCI must be at the beginning of the circuit. From your description I think you were correct.

o

well, i know how handymen are. they used these blue crimp connector things in my grandparents's uc lights and told them it was perfectly legal. he also used 5-15 recs, but my grandparents told him, on my reccomendaiton, to replace them.
YOU ARE RIGHT!

Here is a link that might be useful: connectors

o

A GFCI outlet can be installed to protect wiring that is beyond it, but it will do nothing for outlets that are between the GFCI and the source. BTW, don't let those "handymen" anywhere near your genset.

o
RE: GFCI outlet, am I an idiot ?

''BTW, don't let those "handymen" anywhere near your genset.''
WHY? WHAT DID THEY DO WRONG, AGAIN?
LET ME REPHRASE THAT, WHAT DIDNT THEY DO WRONG?

o

thanks for confirming what I thought. It is sad there are people out there like this with years and years of experience doing things wrong.

Ike

o

he insisted that a GFCI outlet anywhere on the chain would protect all outlets on the chain, has been doing this for 30 years, etc.

Oh, he's wrong. It's only the downstream outlets that are protected. But what's more interesting is if he actually believed that...

breaker ---- non-GFCI outlet ----- new GFCI outlet ----- new GFCI outlet

Why spend money on a second GFCI receptacle on the same circuit?

o

30 years might mean one week's experience 1560 times.

o

EVEN I know hou to wire a gfi, and it is pretty sad that the instructions are in the box. i wired how many by now?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here