Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Max breaker size

Posted by fotostat (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 18:44

I have a house with an 8-3 direct burial cable ran from the main panel in the house to the garage. In the main panel it's just looped around and taped up, it still needs to be landed on a breaker. In the garage there is just a coil on the wall waiting for a sub panel to be installed.

For this type of cable, what is the max breaker size I could put in the main panel? 40A? I know there are times that you could get 50A with an 8 gauge conductor, I'm just not sure when.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Max breaker size

Depends on what kind of cable it is. If it's UF you're stuck with 40A, if it's USE it's 50A, USE-2 55A. Assuming that it's all copper.

o

It's just UF :-(

o

If this is a detached garage it might not pass inspection. I have heard of some inspectors rejecting a sub panel in a detached structure if it is not minimum 60 amp. 8/3 is only good for 40 amp.
I don't think it is a problem if it within the same structure.

o

It's detached.

The line was already run when I bought the place, I'm not digging it (and the expensive landscaping and cement work) up to replace it with a bigger cable. 40 Amps 240V is PLENTY for my uses.

I'll call up and ask about any minimum size. If there is, then they'll lose out on their permit fee.

o

The disconnect/panel at the detached structure needs to be at least 60A, but it can be fed from a 40A breaker, so you should have no problem, as long as the wire is 8/3 with ground. You will need a ground rod at the detached structure.

o

Thanks normel, that'll work!

Another code issue that makes no sense, but at least I'm compliant so there won't be any issue.

o

If you think you are compliant then you should read this thread.

http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=18557

If you don't get a permit then I hope you don't have any issues when you go to sell the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here