Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakerot

Outdoor kitchen

jakerot
10 years ago

Hello all.

I am building an outdoor kitchen.

For electrical service I ran 2 hot, 1 neutral , one ground wire through underground conduit. 12ga wires.

I want to have (2) 20a circuits.

From all I have read, all I need is a 2pole gfci breaker and I should be ok to run this multiwire circuit. I found one for my panel online but before I purchase, I wanted to confirm.

I just want confirmation this was accurate and the breaker should be 20A

Comments (7)

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

You don't necessarily need a GFCI breaker. You can use GFCI receptacles. A 2 pole GFCI breaker WITH LOAD NEUTRAL will work as well.

• glennsparky
    10 years ago

"... I just want confirmation this was accurate and the breaker should be 20A"

Yes. All correct.

• jakerot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I understand the gfi protection needs to be at the breaker panel when running the circuit outside the house underground. That's why I wanted the gfi at the panel and not the outlets. Thank you for the confirmation.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

There's no requirement to GFCI conductors just because they are underground, though you can place them at a lesser depth if it's a 20A circuit with a GFCI.

• jakerot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes. I forgot to mention I am burning the conduit 12" deep, hence the reason for gfci at the panel. Thank you

• jakerot
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another question.

I ran the gray conduit underground. I transitioned it to a rigid pipe riser where it goes above grade then enters the garage. The conduit here will be exposed

My question deals with when the other end of the conduit stubs up through the concrete pad for the outdoor kitchen. I am hoping I can run the gray conduit up out of the slab and into a box, then transition to outdoor rated NM cable Do I need to transition the riser into rigid as well, even though it will be inside the island and virtually inaccessible? the cali elec code says schedule 80 pvc can be used in areas for physical damage.. I don't think inside a bbq island would fall under this category but i figured I would ask

I would rather transition to sch 80 and be done with it, but Home Depot doesn't have sch 80, only sch 40. Do I need to go to an electrical supply house to get sch 80? 3/4" dia. or can I stub up with sch 40 or just the gray pvc conduit?

Or a simpler question:

how do you stub up electrical service inside a bbq island

thank you for your help.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

You can't use ached 40 to protect from physical damage. If you're going to use PVC you have to use sched 80. The HD here has ached 80 CONDUIt. If yours does not, tell them to special order it for you. It's certainly on their website and in their ordering system...either that or go to a real electrical supply.

This post was edited by ronnatalie on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 21:41