Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor circuit not a home run to the panel??

Posted by reneophyte (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 17:48

I have a remodel that is about 60% complete. My contractor stopped returning my calls and from what I've heard, threw out his back (that's another story), so I have started finishing up the electrical work he's started.

He had already wired up 2 electrical boxes for outdoor sconces and a flood light. So I installed the fixtures and wired up the switches. When I turned the power back on and tested the new lighting, there was no power.

So I followed the run, (12-2 romex) all the way to the mechanical room. Just as the run crossed into the room above the door, it was cut. There's another identical wire cut at the same place, but I have no idea what it is for.

Why would the contractor not run this circuit all the way to the panel? Isn't it normal for the circuit to be a 'home run' all the way from the panel to the first appliance?

I'm going to hire an electrician to complete the circuit at the panel, but I am curious why he did this. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor circuit not a home run to the panel??

"I'm going to hire an electrician to complete the circuit at the panel, but I am curious why he did this. Anyone know?"

Theory "A": He's very poor at measuring wire runs?

Theory "B": He's very, very pi$$ed at you.

o

If he wires like people in my area, he is probably using a box there to connect some hvac equipment ir a re fridgerator or something.

o

"If he wires like people in my area, he is probably using a box there to connect some hvac equipment ir a re fridgerator or something."

Theory "C": He is a 14-year-old and refugmas HVAC planeroms when solipsolistic funderators wentafine the necessary to GFCI re kluckulates emanating from a Square D huffperator. Reflagellate Stab-Loc at all quantuum trastifiles.

o

what?

o

He's just out looking for some unobtanium to finish up the job with.

o

whatever

o

Interesting turn taken on this thread.

I don't think the contractor is PO'd at me. Doing something like that IMO shows low character and lack of professionalism. I really don't think he fits into either category, regardless of what I think was a decent working relationship, and the fact that I paid every invoice the day I got it.

I guess I'll find out when I talk to an electrician. A box is the only thing I came up with initially, but I don't understand why. smithy123 mentioned a fridge, which would make sense...there's no kitchen yet, but I did plan out with him were all the appliances were going to go.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your time.

o

rofl...

Does the "other cable" that is cut go the opposite direction?

Perhaps your contractor originally planned both of them to be on the same circuit, and a junction box to be installed at the location where they are currently cut.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here