Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using a secondary phone line jack on main line

Posted by rusty_2010_gardener (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 17:40

I need your assistance. I have 2 phone lines, main line number has a jack in the kitchen and another jack in the master bedroom. The second line (different number) has a jack in the office room. I want to eliminate the second line and use the office jack as one more jack on the main line. The office jack wire has 4 strands red-green-yellow-black and is connected in the attic to an 8 strand phone wire as follows: orange, white with orange, brown and white with brown wires are not in use, but the other four strands are from green to yellow, from white with blue to green, from white with green to black and from blue to red.
At the end of each pair of strands there are four plastic tabs covering each pair of strands. What strands have to be switched so that I would be able to use the office jack as the main number. Would I have to change the wires at the NID, if so please indicate how. This NID is an old one, does not have any modules to allow for phone testing and the wires are connected at the NID as follows:
TOP LEFT SCREW WHITE-GREEN & YELLOW WIRES
BOTTOM LEFT SCREW WHITE-BLUE & BLUE WIRES
TOP RIGHT SCREW GREEN & YELLOW WIRES
BOTTOM RIGHTSCREW BLUE & SLATE (GRAY) WIRES
Please indicate which set of wires belong to LINE 2.
Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Mario Fernandez

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using a secondary phone line jack on main line

If all the wires are connected in the office jack you have both lines there. Red/green is one line and Yellow/black is the other.

o
RE: Using a secondary phone line jack on main line

As hendricus says, you should have both at the office jack. Plug a phone in there and see what happens. Sometimes, all 4 connections are in place but only 1 line is active. A telephone with a line 1 and line 2 button would confirm that. You could also disconnect the 4 wires and where the black and yellow wires were, connect the red and green. If you do this and you get dial tone but can't dial out, switch the red and green wire connections.

Did the telco do the inside wiring? Somewhere along the line someone spliced twisted pairs into station wire. Coming from the telco service you should have 4 incoming wires...red, green, black, yellow. The red and green are line 1, the black and yellow are line 2. Another approach would be...At the incoming service terminal, make note of what colors from the house wiring are going to the incoming telco service wires. Disconnect the lead where the incoming black lead is and connect it to the terminal where the incoming green is. Then disconnect the lead where the incoming yellow wire is and connect it to where the incoming red wire is. You can leave the incoming black and yellow wire connected to their existing terminals with nothing connected to them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here