Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rentaltux_gw

Proper wire

rentaltux
11 years ago

I want to purchase wire for my induction cooktop which requires a dedicated 50 amps. The infor in the manual says "240/208V AC, 60 Hz, 3-wire, single-phase power supply." I know I need 6 gauge wire but would this be 6-2 (white,black and ground) or 6-3 (black,red,white and ground)? I don't have the cooktop yet to check if it has common/neutral (white) or not. My gut tells me it is just 2 hot leads and ground?? Thoughts?

R

Comments (10)

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

My thoughts are that the instructions for these things SUCK.
    They'll say 240V and then throw at you "3-wire", which could mean 120/240v, or 240V including the ground.

I'd wait until you get it, unless you can confirm for certain the requirements.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Does the manual show a wiring diagram. How about calling the manufacturer?

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

If it says it can live with 240/208, I doubt highly it gives a hoot about the grounded conductor (i.e. neutral). Does it show the connections. Unless it has a specific place to land a grounded conductor, I don't think it cares. Never seen an induction cooktop that did. You have a manu/model number, we can look at it for you.

• rentaltux
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I cannot find any wiring diagram. The model is CI 491 it is a Gaggenau induction cooktop. I have about 300 feet of 6-2 Teck Cable so I was hoping I could use it and save $$$. I was hoping to avoid buying 6-3 if it isn't needed.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

The installation instructions are on the Gaggenau web site. there are three wires: black (L1), red (L2), and green (ground).

You only need 6-2.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

The above being said, I might be inclined to run 6-3 anyhow just in case some day someone wants to put a different cooktop there that does require the grounded conductor.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"They'll say 240V and then throw at you "3-wire", which could mean 120/240v, or 240V including the ground. "

If they need a neutral they should be labeled as 120/240 V, NOT just 240 V (or 240/208 V).

Look on the nameplate.
    It is more likely to be correct since it is used by the agencies that 'list' equipment (like UL).

You could ask for a copy of the listing from the manufacturer.

• jagans
    11 years ago

Its probably a German cooktop where everything runs on 220-40
    The green wire is a giveaway. US appliances sometime need 120 for motors and such, and 240 for the heating element (In the case of an electric dryer.)

• jagans
    11 years ago

Its probably a European manufactured cooktop in a country where everything runs on 220-40 (German?)
    The green wire is a giveaway. US appliances sometime need 120 for motors and such, and 240 for the heating element (In the case of an electric dryer.)

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

You can sit there and guess what all you want, but I already pointed out that I had downloaded the installation manual for the thing after he provided the model # AND THERE ARE ONLY L1/L2 (208-240) plus a ground.