Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yourmom_gw

3 way switch problem

yourmom
12 years ago

ok there is a junction somewhere between the last light and the #2 3 way switch

#1 switch has no power it goes to the light and travelers pass through. #2 switch has 3 wires only a hot and two travelers / Neutral must be coming from a junction box.When i put the hot on the common on switch #2 and 1 traveler the light comes on and does not shut off. When i flip the switch on #1 switch the light makes one flicker and stays on. Not sure what to do

Comments (19)

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

For what reason did you begin to "work" on this system? Older 3-way hookups may have a neutral only at the box of the light fixture. And that was perfectly proper until recent code revisions.

• yourmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the home run obviously comes from a junction thats coverd the netrual is not the problem cause the lights come on

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

For what reason did you begin to "work" on this system?

• yourmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

for what reason do you keep asking did you not read the ?if you are unable to understand the problem please dont respond

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

I hope no one responds. The answer to that question is quite important to understand the problem.

• hendricus
    12 years ago

1. the junction box is the light

2. the neutral is only at the light. the switches only switch the hot line

3. your power probably comes through the light junction, goes to the common of the first switch along the travelers to the second switch and from that common back to the light.

4 the switches only go to one light, all the other lights , if any, get hooked to this light.

• yourmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

1) No junction is after first switch before light
    2) The hot and neutral come from the j box and goes seperate ways hot goes to switch#1 and neutral goes to light
    3) when i hook up the hot at switch#1to give it power to switch#2 and then flip the switch the light just gives off one flicker and stays on

• yourmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i think the hot has to be hooked up something else in the j box its got to be feeding it twice

• joed
    12 years ago

How many wires in the switch boxes?

How many wires in the junction box and how are they connected?

How many wires in the light box?
    Once we determine how the cables are run between the boxes I can tell how to connect them.

• yourmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

there are 3 wires in each switch box
    The j box is covered behind drywall but was told all he did was extend the wires
    the original splice point was in the light box and still is in.
    im told that in the junction there is also another 3 way splice that is being extended to the same 4gang switch box.
    in the light box there is the feed from the end of the 3way,a hot&neutral,and then the feed to the switch so there is 3 sets in the light box

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"The j box is covered behind drywall but was told all he did was extend the wires "

Junction boxes are must be accessible, and that means they may not be buried behind drywall.

The first step is probably to restore access to eh junction box and see what is there.

• yourmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yea just hoping maybe in the light junction maybe i could change some wires around being as thats were it all comes in

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

For what reason did you begin to "work" on this system?

• yourmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cause im getting paid too

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

For what technical reason is someone "working" on this system?
    Four-year old boys often "work" on things simply because they are there. Paying someone to "work" on a system typically has other specific reasons.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"cause im getting paid too"

Unless you are licensed that would be a VERY bad idea.

Was it working previously
    Dd it never work?

Dd it stop suddenly?

Any changes made?
    We are not omniscient.

• hexus
    12 years ago

"it doesnt matter if im licensed or not if i took on the job i think i can handle it"

obviously you're doing a wonderful job too...
    Hack job handy man at it's best

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"it doesnt matter if im licensed or not if i took on the job i think i can handle it"

Um, no it does not work that way.

You cannot do electrical work in houses other than your own (as in the house you own ad live in) for pay without a license.

• btharmy
    12 years ago

"if you cant offer helpfull info there is no need to reply"

If YOU can't offer the required information, it is nearly impossible to troubleshoot the problem. Especially not having the luxury of seeing the situation first hand. Anyone who is any good at troubleshooting knows to ask as many questions that may relate to the situation as possible. When / why did the switches stop working? Did someone already fiddle with the wiring and make things worse, etc, etc.............Thus the questions about why you are working on the switching in the first place. Obviously, a handyman hack wouldn't know that. But, like you said yourself, "i can handle it". Yeah, it's obvious, you have it all under control.