Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmom74

Electric stove problem

gmom74
13 years ago

I have an old GE double oven stove- small oven at head height and larger lower oven. I love this stove even though it's pretty old. Recently I was boiling some corn and had my left hand resting on a metal strip on the upper edge of the stove top. I reached into the boiling water with metal tongs to turn the corn and got a nasty shock. Does anyone know what might be happening? I don't want anyone getting hurt and don't want the house to catch fire. I've looked at the new so-called double oven stoves and the lower oven is practically on the floor- not for me. I hate getting just the one oven stove- don't want to have to remodel to put a second oven in. I've thought about having the stove rewired but no time now till Thanksgiving. What to do? Any advice? Thank you.

Comments (14)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Most likely is that a wire has broken through its insulation and is not touching the trim.

The breaker should trip, but on old equipment all bets are sort of off since it was not made to the same level of safety we use now.

• smithy123
    13 years ago

PROBABLY NEEDS A NEW HEATING ELEMENT.

• pharkus
    13 years ago

Believe it or not, I'm with smithy on this one.

I'm gonna guess the stove is properly grounded, and the 'broken wire' is the heating element (burner) itself. It has worn through, making the pot, and thus the water, electrically live. You inserting metal tongs in there completed the circuit, burner -> pot -> water -> tongs -> you -> trim -> frame -> ground.

Solution? Replace burner. Problemo el-solvo.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

I guess I agree with both of you. That is, it could be a frayed wire in the cooktop part, or a bad element. I think the cooktop part suffers more from heat effects than the oven(s) in that the wiring in the oven is usually buried in insulation whereas the wiring under the cooktop is not.

sometimes, with years of cleaning and being knocked around, the cooktop element sockets get loose and the wires fray at the ends.

• DavidR
    13 years ago

On every open-element electric range I've ever seen, the elements rest on a steel support. I'd expect that if the range frame is grounded, so is that support. Thus a fault in the element *should* be grounded.

But things often get pretty cruddy in a range. If that element ground is now of very high resistance, some of the fault current might indeed be conducted to ground through the operator as Pharkus describes.

I'd start by lifting the element out of its support so that it's definitely isolated from the range frame, and measure the leakage current with a multimeter. A cheap neon tester to range frame should also detect leakage, though it'll glow on leakage you probably can't feel.

• pharkus
    13 years ago

if the ceramic portion of the element has "worn through" on the top side where it makes contact with the bottom of the pan, the frame isn't going to ground it.

• cuffs054
    13 years ago

Does this range have "swing up" elements (eyes) or do they pull out of a connector? Have you lined the drip pans with foil? Was only one burner on when incident happened?

• gmom74
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone. Cuffs, only one burner was being used at the time of the incident and no, the drip pans are not lined with foil. Three burners can be pulled out easily so I can clean the pan underneath. The unit in question has six contact points in a clear plastic (I guess) housing with wiring that runs under the cooktop where I can't see it. Looking at the six contact points I see nothing broken-
    Maybe I could just use the other burners but if the wiring underneath the cooktop is broken, even they could cause a shock. I have since used the unit but have been careful to not touch the metal on the cooktop- and I wasn't cooking anything in water.

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Pull out the defective element and take it to the appliance store or home center and get a replacement. It won't run you $25 and the problem will be solved.

• gmom74
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah yes, Pharkus. We have decided to take the advice of a few of you and replace the burner. There has been no time to do it yet. I'm hoping that Sears or another store will have the kind we need in stock so it doesn't have to be ordered. By the way, as I said, I have cooked on the unit again since the first episode but did not use water for the cooking. I am not an electrician so I didn't know if I boiled corn again or boiled a crab, whether I would get shocked again. Though it seemed to have something to do with that metal strip that I touched at the same time on the cooktop. But when we replace the unit, I don't plan to be the one to try it out. Maybe someone at the store will know how it can be tested without getting a shock again. And Pharkus, it would be safe to eat at our house- no strange ways of cooking here. Just plain old soul food. But then, that's strange to a lot of people, isn't it?

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

When I needed to get an oven element for my GE, I went to a neighborhood appliance store. You might want to check the yellow pages before going to Sears.

• pharkus
    13 years ago

I'm with weedmeister. We've got a small family-owned appliance store in town that has always managed to have or quickly get parts for just about everything I've come across, regardless of brand or age.

I've had no such luck with Sears. Last time I called them, for an air conditioner part, I was told they HAD the part, and it was in stock. They even told me the price, but they weren't allowed to sell it to me.

Of course they offered me a brand-new air conditioner at a much higher cost.

• HU-294967283
    3 years ago

Most likely the housing of the stove is not grounded properly . Where the wires connect the back of the stove to the power from the house, there should be a ground wire that grounds the chassis to the neutral (white wire) or ground depending if you have a three or four wire connection. Anything else should trip the breaker. But if not wired properly this will allow the chassis to become energized even if nothing is on, since it is not grounded to allow it to discharge.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource