Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oven and Plastic Box

Posted by tom_in_sc (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 17:04

Hello all,
I have a situation that I need to figure our how to handle. I'm installing a wall oven. It's a convection oven rated for a 20amp breaker. It has a whip about 4 or 5 ft long -plenty to reach the junction box. Here's the problem. What's mounted in the wall is a single deep plastic box. I'd really prefer to have a surface-mounted metal box, but can I make this work (legally and safely) using the plastic box?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oven and Plastic Box

Put a 20A receptacle in and a plug on the oven cord?
Use the recessed box to junction to a short piece of cable to reach your surface mount box placed adjacent?

o

Thanks for the suggestions.

I thought it had to be hardwired?

Do I need to worry about heat from the oven and the plastic box?

o

Try an extension box......

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension box

o

Just hardwire it to the existing box. There is no problem using in wall plastic boxes.

o

Joed,
Do "they" make a cover with a punch-out to run the whip wires through? What connector would I use? An MC squeeze connector?

o

"Do "they" make a cover with a punch-out to run the whip wires through? What connector would I use? An MC squeeze connector?"

Blank covers with a knockout are available.

The connector is whatever type of conduit the whip is made from.

If the cable is large you may need to find an electric supply house (not a big box store).

o

I second abnorm's suggestion.

o

Thanks everyone!

I like the extension box idea, but in it's current location I'm not sure it would clear the oven. There is about an inch overlap between the box location and top of the oven (the convection fan part I think).

There is room to use the existing box, so I'll probably just do that. Just to be sure - no worries about the oven's heat and the plastic box??

The whip looks like MC (three insulated wires and bare ground) thugh I doubt that it is truly MC, so I'll go with the squeeze connector.

o

"Just to be sure - no worries about the oven's heat and the plastic box?? "

Unless the installation instructions require metal, plastic is fine.

Most residential ovens are 'zero clearance' to combustibles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here