Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tkmtm

Junction box under attic floor

TM
13 years ago

I have several junction boxes in my attic covered with insulation. These are clearly marked and readily accessible. So, I don't think these are code violation. I installed a box against a ceiling joist and put a 12"x48" particle board plank on top. The board works as floor but it's easily taken off by removing screws. I would like to know if this is OK or against NEC. My original thought was this is somewhat similar to a box istalled inside suspended ceiling. I appreciate any suggestion. Thank you.

Comments (5)

• bus_driver
    13 years ago

The installation you describe is not in compliance with Article 314.29 of the NEC

• TM
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your input. I found the following out of your suggestion. "Conduit bodies, junction, pull and outlet boxes must be installed so that the wiring contained in them is accessible without removing any part of the building structure, including insulation material."
    That means all of my previous statements are against the code. Are Junction boxes in suspended ceiling also code violation? I have a lot in the basement.

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Just take the screws out. I've had plywood floors in attic storage areas and never had to screw them down.

Suspended ceiling panels that are designed to be removable meet the requirement of accessible. The one thing that people screw up on suspended ceilings is that the wires should never be resting on the suspended (and especially not the removeable parts) of the ceiling.

• saltcedar
    13 years ago

"Conduit bodies, junction, pull and outlet boxes must be installed so that the wiring contained in them is accessible without removing any part of the building structure, including insulation material."

Is this a local requirement? Sounds as if all blown insulation would violate this section as most older homes have at least a few Jboxes on the ceiling accessible
    in the attic.

• TM
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It looks like WA local code. I didn't notice that when I quoted.
    I also found the following statement and those are consistent with my understanding.
    "Boxes must be installed so that the wiring inside can be reached without making a hole in a wall or a ceiling, or cutting any framing out of the way."
    The NEC definition of accessible is "Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish, or not permanently closed in by the structure of finish of the building."
    According to the information above, boxes buried under insulation and above suspended ceiling are totally fine. As Ron suggested a floor plank without screws also sounds OK. Even with screws may be considered OK because I donâÂÂt have to either damage structure or finish. What do you think?