Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Manual override switch for a fan

Posted by mark_fleming (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 19, 09 at 16:58

I'm putting an energy recovery ventilation (ERV) system in my new construction. I already put one in the shop/garage that uses a 120V timer set to come on several times a day. In the house, I was thinking about putting in a manual override on the timer.

Here's my thoughts on how to wire it using a double box with the timer on one side and the switch on the other. I feed the box with power and pigtail the hot to the timer and to the switch. The hot coming out of the timer and the switch are then reconnected. The neutral just goes on through the box to the ERV. Ground as necessary. It would only require a single 12/2 wire up to the ERV in the attic.

So, if the timer comes on, power is sent to the ERV. If the switch is on, power is sent to the ERV regardless of the timer. When the switch is off, the timer goes back to running the ERV. Seems right to me, but this configuration isn't in my electrical wiring for dummies book.

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Manual override switch for a fan

"The hot coming out of the timer and the switch are then reconnected." -- I'd pigtail leads from the load side of the timer and switch to the hot lead to the fan.

o
RE: Manual override switch for a fan

Your will work as you plan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here