Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sub-panel, main panel grounding

Posted by jeff0345 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 16:45

Concerning installing a sub-panel, I just need one thing clarified...I realize and understand the neutral must be isolated from the ground in the sub-panel, and I have done that.
However, in the main panel the neutral and gnd. are on the same buss bar.
So my question is, should I attach the ground from the sub-panel to the neutral/gnd buss bar in the main panel, or attach it to the main's case?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sub-panel, main panel grounding

You can attach both to the bar.

o

this helps me, too because my panel is the same way, and i have GE powermark CRAP!

o

A main panel is the ONE place in most residential installations the neutral and grounding conductor are bonded together.

Every other place in the house should heave them separated.

The fed to a sub-panel will have two connections to the grounding/neutral bar in a main feeding it.

o

i do not get the seperation between n/g when they are bonded in the main panel, anyway. the code writers are idiots.

o

"i do not get the seperation between n/g when they are bonded in the main panel, anyway. the code writers are idiots."

I find is extremely humorous that you call the code writers "idiots" when you don't even understand basic electrical theory. Because you don't understand why neutrals and grounds are separate in sub panels, the code writers are idiots? You don't even own a copy of the NEC to even look at the codes, yet you're calling code writers idiots.
If anyone is the idiot here I bluntly say it's you, smithy. Your posts are a joke. You give blatantly wrong information and advice, and you act like you're some electrical God.

Stop posting before you get someone hurt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here