Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 way common white wire

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 16:20

I had to replace a 3 way switch. It had 2 red wires as the travelers. The common though was a white wire. That was the wire power was coming into the switch.

Is this miswired? I put a strip of black electrical tape on the white wire to redesignate it as hot but I am unsure if this was proper to begin with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 way common white wire

black tape or a sharpie will suffice. If it was in conduit, white shouldn't have been used but it will work fine. White can only be used to feed a switch when it is part of a cable like 12/3 romex.

o

Yes I used black tape.

It was in conduit. Probably ran 40 years ago. Would that have been a rule then?

I checked the light fixtures thinking maybe it was reversed polarity but the middle tab is live and the screw threads are not.

Could this miswiring be harmful?

o

One other thing... there were other switches in the box. If someone miswired a long time ago....

what would happen if that white live wire was the line for one of the other switches?

Then the 3 ways wouldnt work correct?

I followed the wires in the pipe though, the white and 2 red use the same conduit. The other live wires for the other switches go elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here