Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electrical Wiring for dishwasher and two plugs in kitchen

Posted by PMS11 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 16:08

I'm looking for a pro opinion here... I recently had a "qualified" electrician install two 20 amp circuits and one 30 amp for a dishwasher and two plugs in my kitchen. I tested the wires meant for plugs and realized that one of the 20s is still hot, even when the breaker is off. (It is somehow connected to the dishwasher breaker/circuit.) I took off the breaker box cover and realized that only TWO yellow #12s are in the box and that one of the 20s is connected to the 30. IS THIS CODE OR LEGAL?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electrical Wiring for dishwasher and two plugs in kitchen

I've never heard of a 30A (residential) dishwasher. Why was this done?

Anyhow, a 12 gauge wire should not be connected to a 30A breaker. Are you sure (10g which was appropriate for 30A is typically orange).

o

I have never seen a residential dishwasher that needed 30 amps. The 2 20 amp circuits should be completely separate from the dishwasher circuit unless run in the same conduit, breaking out to separate runs they may share an equipment grounding conductor up until that point which the circuits go there separate ways. A #10 equipment grounding conductor is good for 60 amps. Keep in mind in the 2014 NEC dishwashers shall be required to
have GFCI protection due to the increasing number of heater fires.

o

"Keep in mind in the 2014 NEC dishwashers shall be required to
have GFCI protection due to the increasing number of heater fires."
Agreed about the new GFCI requirement for 2014. But the idea that GFCI is for fire prevention is one I never heard before and would like to learn more about it. Can you post links that will expand on that idea?

o

Both dishwasher circuits (hardwired or plug connected) and laundries now require GFCI. However Dudley is completely wrong on why, it has nothing to do with fire and all to do with (as is just about every use of GFCI) electrical shock potential. The argument is the modern electronic controlled dishwashers have a greater potential for failure compared to the old mechanical timered ones.

Other interesting changes are the areas requiring AFCI have been expanded to include kitchens and laundries (previously exempted). Note we are now in the realm where both AFCI and GFCI are required.

All the mention of 600V as the threshold before certain extra requirements exist have been revised upward to 1000V to make accommodation for certain home power (solar, wind) generation.

o

It is noted that "dudley" registered on Monday November 11 and started voluminous posting with some nonsense in each post, but enough truth and substance to mislead the unwary or uninformed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here