Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wiring diimer switch

Posted by tc123 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 16:03

I want to add a dimmer switch to my dining room chandleer. Taking the plsate off her is what I have 2 romax cable coming in the black wire from both cable are attached to the light switch the 2 white wires aare jumpered together. And a ground wire attached to the switch. My dimmer switch has 2 black wires and a ground. I tried to attach each black wire to each on the dimmer switch, that didnt work. I tried too connect both black wiires to the one wire coming from the dimmer and the two white wires to the other black wire form the dimmer that didnt work either any suggestions......Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wiring diimer switch

The dimmer should be wired just like the switch that it's replacing. Black wire to each black connection on the dimmer, and the whites "jumpered" together. My concern is that if you wired it the other way (with the blacks on one side of the dimmer and whites on the other side), you have created a dead short and probably destroyed the dimmer.

o

When i first wired that way the switch iluminated but the lights would not go on. I will go to the store tonight and get a new switch and try it again. Thanks

o

Which dimmer are you using? Some dimmers care about the difference between the "line" and the "load". If that's the case, you might have originally had the two black wires reversed. Please check the installation instructions, or post the model of the dimmer here. I'm surprised that there's a pilot light on the dimmer, but no connection to neutral.

o

"I'm surprised that there's a pilot light on the dimmer, but no connection to neutral."

Neon pilot lights do not require a neutral to operate.
They 'leak' enough voltage and current through the load (bulb filaments in this case) to ionize the neon an illuminate the neon bulb.
It take 90 V to turn a typical neon bulb on, but far less to keep voltage to keep it on, and the current is less than 0.01 A (10 milliamps) for a small neon bulb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here