Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marknmt

Subpanel grounding

marknmt
17 years ago

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that the grounding bus in a subpanel must ALWAYS be separate from the common bus and that they should be connected to the panel box (by connected I mean the ground circuit completed.)

A friend tried to tell me this is not the case, because the ground wire is connected to the common bus in the main panel.

Thanks for straightening me out.

Mark

Comments (8)

• bigbird_1
    17 years ago

Your friend is wrong. You are correct.

• marknmt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you.

• itsunclebill
    17 years ago

The NEC allows a sub panel in a separate building with no other common metallic connections to the building with the main panel to use a 3 wire supply - meaning the ground and neutral would be common in the sub panel. It's also a common practice around here to have a main disconnect in the form of a panel on a pole and a 3 wire feed to the disconnect on the house, esentially a sub panel, where the ground and neutral are common.

A sub panel in the same structure is required to have a separate neutral and ground but the rules change in a detatched structure.

I won't debate whether it's a good idea or not but an isolated ground in a sub panel certainly isn't mandated in ALL cases.

UNK

• marknmt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again.

• monkeyboyyu
    17 years ago

you must never ever ground a neutral on a sub panel. If you were to lose your neutral due to any reason like a loose connection or a cut cable ,you could wind up returning all of your backfed power on your ground wire which is typicaly smaller than your neutral.A fire sub code official in Nyc was reprimanded for requireing fire alarm installers to bond their neutral on disconnects fed from a sub panel .In a large building with many sub panels fed from a distributuion panel , you could get hundreds of amps returning on your ground wire in a bonded sub panel if there ever was a neutral failure. VERY BAD NO NO

• petey_racer
    17 years ago

Monkey, it is allowable in one instance to bond the neutral to ground in a detached structure sub-panel.
    See Unk's post.

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

read Unk's post very carefully.

"...sub panel in a separate building with no other common metallic connections to the building with the main panel to use a 3 wire supply..."

The requirement for no other metallic connections is very important. No phone line, cable tv lines, metal water lines. NO connection.
    This is to prevent the return of any currents on a secondary ground connection.
    If the conenction was made, the return currents would divide based on circuit impedance and a phone line would likely be quickly destroyed.

• bullheimer
    17 years ago

bill is right per NEC. wouldnt work tho in washington as per see this forum's FAQ's. 4 wires are required as per RCW's. and hence, no main bonding ... so consult your State and or City code to see if the NEC is good to go.