Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Occupancy sensor replacing 3-way switches

Posted by higgledy (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 15:35

I want to install an occupancy sensor in my laundry room. Currently, this circuit has two switches controlling one fluorescent light fixture. My question is what do I do with the second switch? It is no longer needed. Can it be wired in a circuit with an occupancy sensor? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Occupancy sensor replacing 3-way switches

There are different ways to wire 3 way switches, so It is difficult to answer the question without knowing more about the setup.
This site explains the possible variations.
http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch.htm

Bruce

o

Read the instructions.

o

your laundry room has 2 entrances?

if you have 2 3-way switches then that means that the power source is at one switches common and the other switches common is feeding the light

find out which switch is getting the 120v source and connect your new sensor switch there

use the other wire ((perhaps the red)) and wirenut it to the "common wire" from the other switch box

then cap the ends of the unused wire in both boxes

o

Does the sensor need a neutral?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here