Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old wiring question--3 wires wrapped in same cord

Posted by eks6426 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 15:18

My husband and I are both pretty handy when it comes to electrical stuff. We are remodeling our kitchen and found something that just doesn't make sense to us.

Our house was built in 1940 and most of the wiring is the black cloth covered stuff. We had cloth wrapped wire that had 3 wires in it. One black, one white and one red. The wire is thick enough that we though it was a 220 line but it is not...each individual wire is only 12 gauge.

The black and white wires were hooked to a switch leg for that controls the electricity to my garage. The red wire was hooked to a outlet box. The outlet box also had black and white wires coming into it from the ceiling. These were the live wires.

At the box that contains the switch for the garage is another switch that controls lights outside the house. There is a jumper from the garage switch to the house switch.

We redid the wiring with new Romex. Added a junction box that connect the live wires from above with the switch leg and then continues on to the outlet box. This eliminated the red wire going back to the outlet box from the switch leg and now the garage is without electricity but the house lights still work.

We're not sure what that red wire going from the garage switch leg to the outleg box is for. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old wiring question--3 wires wrapped in same cord

"we though it was a 220 line but it is not...each individual wire is only 12 gauge." That part of your statement makes no sense... 220V can use 14, 12, 10 or higher gauge wire.

The three wire cable would typically be hot (black), neutral (white), switched hot (red).

o
RE: Old wiring question--3 wires wrapped in same cord

We figured it out. It was pretty much what you suggested with the hot black, white neutral and red hot switched. We moved things around and it works now. Most of the 220 line I have seen has been 10 or 8 gauge wire.

Thanks for the input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here