Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gen Transfer Panel Feed Line Length

Posted by obadran (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 15:18

Yet another generator related question, thanks to Sandy.

I bought a 5500 watt (6850 peak) generator. I'm looking to add in a transfer panel. I want to keep the generator in the garage, but roll it out on to the drive way to run it. The problem is that the breaker panel is on the other side of the house.

Once solution I'm looking at is having the inlet receptacle at the garage and run a feeder all the way to the breaker panel. The problem is that I will need to snake this feeder through the attic to get to the panel which is at least a 75ft run. Running the numbers, I will have to run at least a #8 or even a #6 line to keep the voltage drop down. With this generator, I know I'll never hit 30amps, not even at surge, but I want to do the calculations against 30 amps to have room to grow.

The question is how to connect the inlet receptacle to a #8 or #6 line when the terminals on a L14-30 take #10? Do I need another junction box with a terminal block in it and run a short length of #10 between the terminal block and the receptacle. I know there are rules regarding different sized wire in a single run.

Also, I have to check to see if the transfer panel will accept a larger gauge wire.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks,
Omar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gen Transfer Panel Feed Line Length

Are you sure the terminals on the socket only takes up to #10?

o
RE: Gen Transfer Panel Feed Line Length

I just found out from another post and looked up the specs on the L14-30 and it will take a #14-#8 wire.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here