Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treasurehunter_gw

Need wiring Info..Exterior Garage Lights

treasurehunter
16 years ago

Hello

I just bought a Home and there are No Exterior Garage lights on either side of the garage door...

I want to install a light on either side......

At my Front door I have a Switch that Controls a receptacle box in my Living Room..... which the garage is directly behind this wall...and Access to this recpt.

The Recept.. Has 3 wires plus ground... Red,Black,White

the Wall switch has 2 + Ground Red,Black..

Can I tap into the receptacle and run 14/2 to power both of the garage lights... and o work off of my wall switch....

I'm taking it that the Recept.. is powering the Switch... am I correct...

Comments (15)

• treasurehunter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention That this outlet is "Split" for the Switch.....

Top 1/2 works with the Switch

bottom 1/2 Cont..

• treasurehunter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are some photos to show what I'm working with...
    Can I use 14/2 for this or would I need 14/3
    [IMG]http://i18.tinypic.com/6ftxv8m.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i9.tinypic.com/5y0ql92.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i9.tinypic.com/6bng3o8.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i7.tinypic.com/67swgev.jpg[/IMG]

• treasurehunter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

3rd try

Here is a link that might be useful: switch

• greg_h
    16 years ago

Here ya go.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

FIRST thing i would do is get rid of those backstabs and screw the wires down.

as far as code issues, AFAIK you can feed the lights from that switch if you like. i am no sparky though, so there may be something i am not aware of.

BTW, whoever did that wiring was either a DIYer or should have their license jerked. you run the screws in if you use the backstabs, and you don't put more than 1 NM cable under a staple.

• treasurehunter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's the issue I can only run the Lights from the Outlet.. By accessing the outlet through the garage....

I was surprised when I saw the wiring aswell.... just looked 1/2 Arsed.. Every recpt that I've looked at in the house looks the same...

Nothing screwed in just waiting to pop out...

• terribletom
    16 years ago

Hmmm. (Scratching head)

OK, so aside from the fact that it looks to me like the switch is a 3-way switch used as a 2-way (not necessarily a problem, just ugly), that part looks straight forward enough. There's a switch leg with a black and a red that runs from the receptacle box to the switch box. Is this correct?

But what puzzles me is that there's a both a black and a red stabbed into the back of that receptacle. That suggests to me that: (1) something else down the line, like another receptacle or a light is also switched, (2) the receptacle isn't actually switched as advertised or (3) it is a split receptacle with one half always powered and the other half switched.

None of these interpretations seems likely, so I guess I'm not getting it. Where does that black wire go to?

Whoops, sorry. Just re-read your additional comment. Ah hah! It IS split. WHEW!

Well, that gives you two equally easy options: you can run either switched or unswitched power from that box. For switched, you'll connect with the red plus a white neutral. (For unswitched, it'd be the black plus a white.)

Are you really sure you want an indoor switch that controls a lamp receptacle to control your outside garage lights too? Really? Can't talk you into adding a switch in the garage? OK, it's your call.

I hate to complicate things, but there are a few more issues that oughta be considered.

1. Circuit load. Probably not a problem if you're only adding two small lights, who knows? It's worth asking.

2. Change of environments. You are going from a dry indoor environment to a garage and then outside. That means: (1) the light circuit requires GFCI protection somewhere along the line, (2) any unenclosed portions of the run exposed to potential damage will require protection (conduit, for example) and (3) assuming the run extends outdoors, it'll need wire rated for outside use.

3. Box fill requirements. I can't tell for sure how deep that box is, but...lessee...you'll have at least 8 current carrying wires plus the grounds. That sounds iffy to me if it is a shallow box. You might be trying to put 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag.

• cobraguy
    16 years ago

(2) None of my outdoor lights are GFCI protected. I've never owned a home where they were. Check with your AHJ on that one. It would surprise me if necessary. Outdoor receptacles, yes. Lights, no.

Davidandkasie... You can't have two cables under one staple like that? I have seen that done all over the place in my homes. I like it for no other reason than the cables are attached to the middle of the stud and as far away as possible from damage from screws, etc.

• joed
    16 years ago

I would not connect the garage light to the same switch as the receptacle. That switch is required by code for the living room so that when you enter the room you can flip a switch and have a light come on. You could put a lamp on a table beside the receptacle.

I would take unswitched power from the receptacle and bring it to a new switch and then to the new fixtures. Use the black, white and ground wires(not the red) from the receptacle as your power source. Be sure to use the same guage of cable as what is there now.
    That receptacle box might need to change to account for box fill. I see three whites so I would assume there are three cables coming into that box. Adding a fourth would bring the wire count up to 12 or 13(10 for wires, 2 forreceptacle and possibly 1 for internal wire clamps). With #14 wire you would require a 24 or 26 cubic inch box. With #12 wire you will require a 27 or 29.5 ci box. The ci should be marked on the box somewhere.

A few other comments about what I see.
    Back stab connections are legal however I move all the wires to the screw terminals. Back stabs are a very common source of dead receptacle problems. If you don't want ot do that at least screw the screws in tight so they are not sticking out.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

cobraguy, i have always been told no more than 1 NM cable under a single staple. the local inspectors won't pass it either. may be a local thing, i don't know.

• cobraguy
    16 years ago

Thanks david. I didn't know that. I wonder if it's a local thing?

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

Two cables secured by one staple is not necessarily a violation of the NEC.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

then it is probably a local thing. our inspectors here barely understand that electricity is not "magic".

• treasurehunter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I spoke with a electrician that does work for this Builder..
    And asked about how they go about wiring for the Garage lights... When The wirings wasn't preinstalled....

He informed me that They would do it the same way that I'm planning on doing it...
    Because people like the idea of being able to control the Garage lights from the switch at the front door....

I also have a Front door light but he said that it would be to difficult to wire the garage lights to that switch because there is really No Access to the wiring...