Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richmm

Outside Light Wiring Problem

RichMM
12 years ago

I have two post lights in BIG concrete and stone fixtures at the end of the driveway. I have traced the problem to the wire that runs from one side to the other. Using a continuity tester I discovered that the black and white show continuity as does black to ground and white to ground. Power is supplied from the house to the light on the left. Typical Black/White and ground. The second wire was connected to the power wire, black to black, white to white, ground to ground, basically a continuance of the circuit so the right side light would come on. I completely took this second wire out of the circuit, the light on the left now works fine, no circuit breaker being snapped. I now have just an unpowered wire from left to right. I suspect there should not be ANY continuity between any of the wires at this stage, but there is, hence a short right??

Typically, how do the contractors run this wire? Through a small pipe? Just bury is under the driveway? Ultimately I think I have to replace this wire but I really don't want to rip up my driveway just for this light. Is it possible to pull a new wire through by connecting it to the old wire?

I do believe I am screwed but maybe someone knows a bit more about this that I do.

Thanks Much