Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light fixture problems (please help)

Posted by szloby (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 13:32

The fixture doesn't work. There is no power at the switch but the fixture is somehow getting power( not enough to light a bulb). I checked the nearest wall socket and everything seems to be in order. This socket has 4 sets of wires going out of it. 2 are working fine and the other 2 have the problem that i described. I don't understand what the problem is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light fixture problems (please help)

When you say there is "power" at the light fixture, how are you measuring it? If you are using a digital multimeter and you are getting somewhere around 50 volts it's a phantom reading and you need to be using a solenoid type tester or introduce a source of resistance into your digital measurements (like a low wattage light bulb). You'll find the measurement drops to zero. Ditto for a non-contact type tester.

The nearest receptacle may not be the source of power for the light circuit. Have you measured voltage at the wall switch for this fixture (assuming it is switched)? If the light fixture does have a wall switch, is it controlled by a switch at a single location or by two or more switches (3 or 4-way circuit)?

Again, you're problems at the wall receptacle are likely the same phantom. The receptacle works fine if you plug in, say, a lamp. Is that correct?

o
RE: Light fixture problems (please help)

I only had a tester(screwdriver with a light). It didn't light up at switch but it light's up at the wires from the bulb. Should i buy a voltmeter or somenthing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here