Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how many split breakers can go in a breaker box??

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 13:24

First perhaps a stupid question. I have a 200 amp breaker box but if I add up the breakers, it comes to near 800 amps. Is the thought that while I have 200 amp service, it is unlikely I would ever be drawing full current through even 25 % of them?

A couple of years ago a electrician installed split breakers in about 40% of the slots in my main breaker box to handle extra outlets I wanted throughout the house. We are about to undergo a kitchen remodel that includes a second electric oven but little more power required. The contractor was making noises that he thought a new main box might be needed. It didn't seem that the oven was the problem but that we would have more dedicated circuits needed to bring to current code. So why can't more of the regular breakers be split to get the extra lines? There are still plenty of 15 and 20 amp breakers that could be split. Is there a limit on split breakers to a box?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how many split breakers can go in a breaker box??

I want to say the limit is 42 but that may depend on what version of the code your municipality is using. The manufacturer of the panel will also limit the number of circuits. Check the label for the number.

The combined amperage of the individual breaker will always (or almost always) exceed that of the main breaker. You typically don't use everything at once but there are calculations you or your electrician can perform to see if you have a large enough service.

o

The limit is what the panel supports. It used to be code to limit the maximum OCD's to 42. Some panels accepted less. Some only accept tandems in certain slots to prevent you from exceeding the old 42 limit. It should be marked on the panel somewhere.

o

The sum of your breakers can be more than the service size, which is ok. Load capacity can only be %80 of the circuit breaker size. The only thing you need to worry about is the actual load. This cannot be more than your service size, which may be what your electrician is talking about. He may think you are getting close to the service size.
Do a load service calculation to determine what the actual load is.

o

i used to think of it as 10a per pole per amp of main
150 a main 1phase 30 poles max
200 a main ditto 40 poles max
100 a main 20 poles max

o

"i used to think of it as 10a per pole per amp of main"

No such requirement exists.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here