Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmcl26554

Wiring a sub-panel for Aux. generator

mmcl26554
12 years ago

My motorhome has a 7KW generator which I want to be able to connect to my home for Axillary power. I have a 4PDT manual switch for the transfer. I will put a sub-panel in my garage and move all of my 120 volt circuits from the main panel to the sub-panel which will be controlled by the transfer switch. I will run each individual 120 volt hot (black) wire now in the main panel to the sub-panel. My question is about the neutral wire (white). Can I leave those connected to the neutral buss in the main panel and run 1 wire to connect the neutral of the transfer switch to the main panel, OR must I run each neutral also from the main panel to the sub-panel? If I must run the neutrals to the sub-panel also can I connect them together in the main panel and then run 1 additional larger wire to the sub-panel. This would save the effort or running 12 separate wires through the conduit. But what about the grounds? Can they remain connected in the main panel or must I run them also, individually or bundled into 1. Sorry for the long post but I can't explain it simpler.

Michael

Comments (6)