Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing A Pottery Kiln

Posted by johnliu (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 13:01

Electrical question. Wifey wants her pottery kiln set up. I plan to do it in the garage, where I previously installed a 100A subpanel with a 60A main breaker, powered by a 60A breaker on my main panel and a ground cable to ground rods. The kiln will have the appropriate clearances to combustible surfaces. I'll put a smoke detector in the garage, and possibly a fan to vent fumes.

Here is a picture of the information plate. The plug is a NEMA 6-50 with two flat (hot) prongs and a round (ground) prong.

As I interpret this, I simply need to install a 40A 240V circuit breaker in my subpanel, and the appropriate wall receptacle, wired to the hot terminals of the breaker and the ground bar in the subpanel, via conduit. The receptacle will be dedicated to this use. I will try to find a GFCI breaker. We'll run the kiln at night. Am I missing anything?

The plate says

"2 way 240v AC
1 phase 21.7 amps
5200 watts
With . . . extension ring
32.5 amps 7800 watts"

I think we have the extension ring, but will check.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing A Pottery Kiln

The kiln will run for more than 3 hours, so the wiring and breaker need to be sized at 1.25 times the rating on the name plate. If you have the extension, you will need 6ga Cu and a 50A breaker. No need for a GFCI.

o

Thank you. I'll do that.

o

Do NOT GFI this circuit if you value your marriage.

o

How come? Will it tend to shut off the kiln in mid-fire or something?

o

"Will it tend to shut off the kiln in mid-fire or something?"

It can and GFCI protection is not required on 240 V circuits.

o

Your electric bill, after the installation of the kiln,
will cause you to ponder the necessity of the kiln.
(just guessin)

o

Should cost about $9 per firing, I think. About $0.11/kwh here.

o

Should cost about $9 per firing, I think. About $0.11/kwh here.

o

"...and possibly a fan to vent fumes."

I'd consider this a must unless you leave the garage door open.
Bisque firing isn't too bad but glazes seem toxic, even if they aren't.

o

Circuit done. Thanks! I did mess up initially by using 1/2" conduit, had to re-do it with 3/4". #6 conductors, 50A breaker.

Two things left to do.

#1 is a vent. There is a downdraft vent specifically made for the kiln, connects to the bottom and pulls out contaminated air before it ever gets into the room, but it costs $500. So, unless I can devise a homemade version of that, I'll put a vent in the garage wall and call it good.

#2 is some sort of heat shielding on the nearest wall. The kiln will be on a mobile base, so that it can be pulled away from the wall when firing and then pushed against the wall to be out of the way. But suppose it gets turned on without being pulled away from the wall? I'm thinking of mounting a steel sheet on stand-offs, with 6" clearance from the wall. I need to go see what people do for this situation.

o

"I'm thinking of mounting a steel sheet on stand-offs, with 6" clearance from the wall."

A layer (or two) of cement board (tile baker) would be better.

It does not conduct heat well at all, unlike metal and metal standoffs.

If you use metal two layers with an air space between them are required to create a decent barrier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here