Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbey_cny

laser printer causing lights to flicker?

abbey_cny
14 years ago

I am just wondering if laser printers draw a lot of power?

I just got a new printer (previous one was an ink jet) and whenever I use it the light in the room (both desk lamp and printer/computer are plugged into same outlet) flickers.

I don't know if this is indicative of a problem or if it is perfectly normal. Would appreciate any info if anyone has encountered a similar problem.

Thanks!

Abbey

Comments (9)

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Laser printers can consume relatively large amounts of power as they use heat to "fix" the toner to the page.

It is indicative of a problem, but probably not in your laser printer. Unfortunately, older houses weren't set up for a 500W computer, a 100W desk lamp, and a 600W laser printer. That's around 10A just on one outlet, and who knows what else on the circuit.

• billhart
    14 years ago

If it is only a mild blink and the lights don't dim a lot, and there are no other symptoms of a problem, then it probably is ok. Mine has done that for years with no apparent ill effects. Be alert for smells or noises from switch or receptacle boxes, or flickering that is not caused by the printer cycling on and off.

I would look at what is on the circuit and not load it heavily. You may need to shut down the computer, turn off the breaker for a test, and make a list of which lights and receptacles are dead so you know what all shares the circuit.

Don't use space heaters, vacuum cleaners, and other big appliances on that circuit while the printer is cycling and you'll be ok.

• abbey_cny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the info. Nothing is conncected to a UPS, just a surge protector which in turn is plugged into one outlet. I will check to see what else is on the circuit, been meaning to figure out that for a while. If I find a lot on the circuit, would it be advisable to get the circuit rewired? I am paranoid about electricity, due to a house fire when younger, so if there is any chance of a problem down the road I would like to get this fixed rather than live with the flickering. The outlet in question was worked on shortly after I bought the house. I had it converted to a properly grounded outlet so I could use the computer in it. Thanks!

Abbey

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much. But that's just me.

• christophersprks
    14 years ago

Have your electrician run a dedicated 15 amp circuit for the computer and printer and you'll never have to worry about smells or damaging your new expensive laser printer due to under voltage.
    The lights won't do that annoying dimming either.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"yes it could. and it could also could be start of fire.."

Only if the printer goes bad.

The heater used to fuse the toner to the paper is a relatively high power device.
    It pulls even more current immediately after it is energized by the printer until lit heats up.

One of the 'green' features in printers is to NOT run the fuser 100%, but turn it off between print jobs.
    This requires an even faster warm up of the fuser when it is needed or the printing is delayed while the fuser comes to temperature.
    Faster warm up requires more power, if only for a short time.

• stinkytiger
    12 years ago

My laster printer, Brother 2040 does this too. When it kicks in the lights dim.

• jsimon7777
    12 years ago

I checked the power draw of a small laser brother laser printer. It was in the 1200watt range. They're big power hogs.