Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flourescents not working in cold weather?

Posted by chris_ont (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 07 at 12:35

Hi
I have two banks of 4 fluorescent tubes (4-foot) in my unheated garage. They are in plain shoplight sort of fixtures.

They don't work in cold weather. Is there a wiring issue, is it the fixture, or is there a bulb that does work in cold weather? It's barely below freezing overnight and they've shut down.
There is a buzzing sound when the light is turned on, and sometimes they will eventually (or some of them anyway) come on, but in the winter I'm not in the garage long enough to find out.

The same thing happened last winter. I planned to replace the tubes in the spring, figuring that they were blown, but they all came back to life when the weather got warmer.

Is this just the nature of these lamps?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flourescents not working in cold weather?

chris-
That's the nature of standard fluorescents. Here is a link that explains starting temps for various bulbs, and discusses special ballasts that work at lower temperatures (although these are going to be pricier than a standard fixture, as you'll see when you do a Google search for "low temperature ballast").

Here is a link that might be useful: Fluorescents

o

The linked site is very good. A trick learned by experimenting is that fluorescent tubes with shatter-protective sleeves often will work better in the cold as the plastic sleeve helps hold heat to the tube. Tubes can be purchased with the sleeves or the sleeves can be purchased for self-installation.

o

They also make ballasts that are 0 degree and or -20 degree that will work. Just make sure they are for the lamps you have and with the same color leads.

o

or simply put in a regular fixture that uses an incandescent bulb. leave the FL fistures, but add the el cheapo regular light as an immediate light source. if your lights are the plug in kind, you can buy an adapter for a couple bucks that plugs in any standard outlet and accepts a bulb. during the winter plug it in, during warmer months plug the FL fixture back in. i have them in my shop. a couple 75W bulbs come on immediately, then the FLs kick in a few minutes later.

o

Replacing the ballast to an electronic ballast will correct the problem (as long as you don't live in alaska). As noted above, be sure that the ballast matches the type of lamps that you have on hand and watch for operation / line voltage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here