Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Looking for Motion Light+Security Camera combo recommendations?

pbx2_gw
11 years ago

Don't know where to start but we're looking to add a Security light that dettects motion & starts recording to a DVR.

Costco has a NightWatcher Robotic LED Security Light that detects motion & turns on the flood lights + has a camera. But I also need recording DVR capabilities.

Can I get some wisdom & recommendation please.

Appreciate it!

Comments (14)

• tjdabomb
    11 years ago

Why do you want to separate the motion detector and light from the camera and DVR?

In my experience, the more complicated/multi-faceted a device is, the more unreliable it is.

In addition, if you get a camera with night vision, it doesn't need a light in order to record. Did you want a light so the camera could record only or also so that it could light the way for someone in the dark?

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

The unit from Costco actually is suppose to record 20 second video clips with each detect - although I seriously doubt the camera's resolution, low-light sensitivity, and the H.264 compression, if even that, are going to provide any useful information.

Night-vision cameras with LED illumination can maybe be good for 15-20 feet in B/W. If you are looking to actually see something, use halogen motion sensing lights and a good quality CCD camera/DVR system to do the recording. There are several consumer systems available today that rival industrial systems from just a couple years ago.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

The motion-sensing light can be separate from the camera/DVR if the DVR senses 'motion' when it records. Many of them do this. It may record constantly but it 'marks' where motion took place so you can go back in the recording and look at it. If you get one that does this, the action of the sensor light turning on will be sufficient to trigger the recording.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback all.

I guess maybe I will have to think about separating the motion sensing flood light & the security camera.

I'd like to research some home security surveillance video equipment.
    What are some good on-line vendors you all can suggest?

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Costco often has some pretty good deals on systems - my experience with them has been best with Swann, next Lorex, and last Q-See and I have installed a lot of these systems for cutomers.

While I have not had any experience with the Q-See "IP based" cameras, I am somewhat skeptical here - HD, 720P, low-light image sensors, using CMOS technology - Hmmm, while the technology is possible, I've yet to see it implemented as claimed at this price-point. Then again, Costco's return policy makes it pretty safe to at least try.

BTW, the motion sensing detection is a function of the DVR/NVR using changes in APL (average picture level) to detect motion within a selectable grid pattern laid over the display.

Without knowing what your exact needs and expectations are here, it's hard to recommend something that may meet your needs. If you can describe the situation, I may be able to suggest some ideas.

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Please forgive me, what I meant to say was that "weedmeister or I may be able to suggest some ideas."

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posted by yosemitebill (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 20:17
    Without knowing what your exact needs and expectations are here, it's hard to recommend something that may meet your needs. If you can describe the situation, I may be able to suggest some ideas.

My needs are not overly complex in fact maybe overly simple.
    I have a detached garage entrance that connects a walk from the main house (breezeway) to the garage.

I would like to monitor this door (along with arming it with an alarm) since it is the door that we exit the garage to walk to the main house.

We might like to monitor another side of the house but right now the main focus is this door since it is the main gateway after coming home from a drive.

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

OK... but what are your really trying to acheive here - see if somebody came around while you weren't there, dissuade people from entering the area in the first place, or capture someone entering your property?

To give a perspective to what I'm asking, in the 80's I did a lot of security cameras in convenience stores such as 7/11's. The owners wanted cameras, but if I aimed them at the door or front counter, they'd say no, I want to see the cashier, the cash register display, and the cash drawer! They weren't so concerned about holdups as much as they were about employee theft.

Obviously, this is not your case but it's important to understand what you are really trying to achieve.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@yosemitebill (My Page)

OK... but what are your really trying to acheive here - see if somebody came around while you weren't there, dissuade people from entering the area in the first place, or capture someone entering your property?

Sorry I couldn't get back to your question sooner but
    your question has gotten to me really thinking about what I needed.

Firstly, I think a camera at the garage entrance would provide another set of eyes & record anything unusual there.

Second - a camera would be placed in our future baby's room to monitor anything there.

We live in a safe enough neighborhood in a modest new house but would like to be able to have our eyes on our property & persons 360/24/7.

Also, am now thinking about wireless camera monitoring - any thoughts?

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

I quite like the Lorex systems, and you can't beat dealing with Costco.

By wireless monitoring, do you mean monitoring a dvr system on a smartphone, or wifi cameras?

DVRs usually have a network connection, so you can monitor all your cameras from one point, and most DVR manufacturers offer apps so you can monitor on a smart phone.

They set up a DDNS setup for you, so you can sign into it from anywhere you have an internet connection.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

alan_s_thefirst: wireless cameras like the X10's.

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

Wireless consumer cameras usually transmit the video information over a 2.4Ghz frequency as an analog or digital signal - the same used by your wireless internet, cordless phone, and microwave oven - very crowded and prone to interference and errors.

Wireless IP cameras use the same frequency but on your home wireless network - but still prone to interfernce and DHCP issues created after a power failure or glitch.

The best answer is a hard-wired camera/DVR solution (such as the Swann units from Costco with CCD cameras w/IR illumination) that connects to your LAN or the internet using DDNS hosting.

While you can use one of the cameras as a "baby-monitor" they usually don't include audio due to state/federal laws, and it may not be the best solution as you need a computer/tablet with you at all times.

Most people often feel more comfortable with stand-alone wireless camera/handheld monitor with audio that they can carry from room to room with them.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@yosemitebill - thanks for the comments again.

We decided to go with the hardwire setup & asked our low voltage/alarm contractor to install the Cat5 to 4 location including one on the baby room (No Lindberg baby nightmare pls!).

Good feedback on the use of real baby monitor which we will get to supplement the other cameras for audio.