Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blue88_gw

transfer switch doable?

blue88
9 years ago

I am thinking about buying a 7500 watt portable generator but not sure if my wiring setup will accept a manual transfer switch. Being an idiot about the subject I will try to describe my wiring setup to allow usable responses.

My main panel indicates I have 100 amp service as there is a double pole breaker labeled 100 amps. Other main panel breakers include three 15amp single poles, two 20amp single poles, four 20amp double poles ( three not in use and off), one 30amp double pole, one 40amp double pole, and one 60amp double pole, which is labeled "basement" and presumably includes the furnace.

In the basement is a sub panel below the main panel on the floor above. It has two 15amp single pole breakers and two 40amp single poles that are joined by a nail to work as one double pole breaker ( connected to electric dryer at least).

In the garage is a sub panel that has four 15amp single poles, one 20amp double pole, and one 30amp double pole.

My primary generator connections wanted are my furnace in the basement, which appears to be hard-wired - i.e. no apparent plug receptacle - and my well pump in the garage. Other connections if possible would be some lights on main floor, microwave, flat screen tv, and whatever. Water heater is propane.

The issue most concerning is the main panel double pole 60 amp breaker while most manual transfer switches I have seen do not go higher than 30amps. No doubt I am not comprehending something about this. Thanks for whatever assistance you can offer.

Comment (1)