Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
counselor4444

9000 Voltage sign inside of home?

counselor4444
13 years ago

Hi all,

My husband was eyeing a beer neon sign (like the ones you'd see at a bar) for our basement. The back of the sign reads "9000 volts indoor use only" We only intend to turn it on when guests are over and will never leave it on for more then a few hours at a time. Is this safe to have in our home? Will I need a special outlet or anything else for it? I obviously don't want a fire. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• dave100
    13 years ago

Ever had a color TV with a CRT in it???? Those produce 20 or 30 THOUSAND volts.

• pharkus
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Works fine.

• smithy123
    13 years ago

especially next to that old computer monitor.

you will not have a problem as long as you do not use a 3 to two adaptor, pull the ground, etc. (IT BOILS MY BLOOD WHEN I SEE THAT!!!) the unit is designed to handle that high voltage and is properly insulated. it is perfectly safe to use. just make sure the receptacle is properly grouded. that ground is in case something DOES go wrong.

• DavidR
    13 years ago

Neon signs do indeed require very high voltage, but at low current. Your home's 120 volts is "stepped up" by a transformer to the thousands of volts required.

As long as the sign hasn't been damaged or abused, the high voltage should be properly insulated and contained. It should be no more dangerous to use than a television set or computer monitor with a CRT. If it's an older sign, though, it might not be a bad idea to have a sign shop look it over to make sure it's OK.

• yosemitebill
    13 years ago

If we are talking about a small plug-in wall mount neon signs that bars get from distributors, or sometimes sold directly to consumers, you're fine. If this is a large wall mount neon sign installed by a sign company, that's a little different... you need professional installation.

The only problem that occurs sometimes with these signs, depending on the type of power supply they use, is that they can create RFI (radio frequency interference) which can cause static in television pictures or on audio sound systems.

Other than that, we have several of them in the bar area that was built into the house, and never had a problem!

• smithy123
    13 years ago

i read on one at a local resturaunt that said "for commercial use only"

• yosemitebill
    13 years ago

Were they actually filming a commercial at the time?

• counselor4444
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, it is a 2 foot wide sign, similar to that which a beer distributor would give out for a bar window. I'm so glad I asked my question here. I'm going to buy it for him and put it away for the holidays (since he was eyeing it!) Thanks again all!

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"i read on one at a local resturaunt that said "for commercial use only"

Outside of FCC EMI class it has no real meaning.

• smithy123
    13 years ago

my boiler's igniter uses 14kv, so 9kv isnt a problem.

• ontariojer
    13 years ago

I saw a boiler once that said for commercial use only

• smithy123
    13 years ago

it is a resudential one from efm. it is oil fired.