Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Townhouse square D Box

Posted by ramsey (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 11:46

We are looking at purchasing a brand new townhouse. My question has to do with a shoe box size box that was next to and connected the main electical fuse box, The box was made by Square D and in my opinion was giving off a fairly load noise. The fuse box is located n the basement.

I asked the real estate agent what the box was for and I got a non helpful non answer.

My guess is the box is a transformer

There conection from the Square D box goes up and outside the house.

The unit has a garage that is under somebody else unit and the is located about 50 yards from my unit

Could the sqaure D box be related to the garage ?

My other thought is some how this unit is realted to the outdoor lighting near the property

Any other ideas what this device is for ?

Thanks

R

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Townhouse square D Box

Could be almost anything given that description. A guess might be that it's for external lighting (or perhaps something for the garage). It may be a rather oddly placed disconnect for something as well.

o

is it buzzing?

o

Is the noise a hum of this frequency?

Here is a link that might be useful: 60 Hz

o

From memory there is a hum. If no one is talking the noise can be heard . It sounded like the sound form the link above but not nearly as loud.

I will go to the open house agin this weekend . I will try to get a video

I am concerned that this unit which is the model unit might be paying for the electricity for the outside lighting.

t

o

" am concerned that this unit which is the model unit might be paying for the electricity for the outside lighting."

No worries. If you own the junction box, you can disconnect what ever is powered by it. :-)

o

"I am concerned that this unit which is the model unit might be paying for the electricity for the outside lighting. "

For a brand new unit this is highly, highly unlikely. Maybe the lighting just around your unit, but not everyone else's.

Any chance you can get a pic of this box?

o

Picture of the Breaker box and Square D box

o

That pic is, unfortunately, not that helpful. If we could read the labels and see the cable type....

Is there just the single cable entering?

o

That could be a motor controller. Unusual in residential situations.
If your request is serious, why did you not post any information from the nameplate on the unit?

o

That is a motor controller or contactor. Both relay type switches for switching heavy loads with light weight switches.

If on they definitely can hum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here