Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Circuit for OTR Microwave

Posted by daveho (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 11:41

I'll be installing an over the range microwave where there is currently a simple vent hood. I know I need to run a dedicated 20A circuit, no problem there. The confusion is this. The installation instructions show the microwave being plugged into a single 15A recepticle. I thought a 20A circuit required a duplex 15A recepticle or a single 20A recepticle. I intend to use a single recepticle as I have no need for a duplex. The recepticle will be placed in the cabinet above the microwave. Is there an exception for this situation? The microwave has a 15A plug.

Thanks.

-Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Circuit for OTR Microwave

A 20 A single receptacle will cost more than a 15 A duplex.

Just use a 15 A duplex.

o

It's convenient to have a duplex receptacle up there in the cabinet, a lot of times people have devices that need to be plugged in to charge a battery that can be stored inside the cabinet.

o

I don't know the current codes - but if the microwave calls for a 15amp circuit are you really not allowed to install a dedicated single 15amp outlet for it?

o

I don't know the current codes - but if the microwave calls for a 15amp circuit are you really not allowed to install a dedicated single 15amp outlet for it?

Absolutely, what else would you install? But I think you have a typo in there. What you're asking is if you can install a 15 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit. The answer again is yes. The logic is that you can plug a lower demand appliance into a higher amp circuit. Certainly you could use a 20 amp receptacle but they're typically more expensive so why waste the money.

o

"I don't know the current codes - but if the microwave calls for a 15amp circuit are you really not allowed to install a dedicated single 15amp outlet for it?"

It actually comes down in many cases to the exact wording of the installation instructions for the MW.

They almost always 'recommend' a dedicated 15 A circuit (or more) for home size units.

A very few commercial models 'require' the dedicated circuit.

o

What I was questioning was the OP's assumption that he _had_ to run a 20amp circuit for a microwave oven that called for a 15amp circuit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here